dst sampling rate

boa12

well i finally got around to checking the sampling rate

various dvd are playing at on my sony dvdp. i was a lil shocked that the dts programs are goin at a rate of around 75k bps whereas the dolby are around 45k.

guess this explains why dts seem to sound more dynamic.

seems like a pretty drastic dif to my retentive self.

knew dolby uses that compression but didn't know it affected the sampling rate that much.

anybody else check out these rates on their players?

am I reading mine wrong?

------------------

My Home Systems Page

No,you are reading it right.WideScreen review has been saying it for a while now.

Check one that has only DTS on it.Saving Private Ryan was one with DTS only and had no extras on the dvd.It's sampiling rate was way up there and you could hear it.If I have a choice on the DVd I chose DTS over DD all the time.I just like the way they mix it,surrounds and bass depth.

hey again steve! yes i also think overall the engineers seem to be much more serious about the mix/sound quality when dts is going to be used.

dolby seems to get in some sloppy ones, like my Stones - Bridges to Babylon concert disk in DD 5.1. got it caus I saw the concert in S. Diego though during El Nino.

even my new AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip concert dvd that has both formats runs 'bout 75k in dts (not a lot of extras on disk though).

waiting on that new Queen - A Night at the Opera that's in dts 96k/24 in regular dvd-video format to come out.

Brian May's been working on it for quite a while. should sound excellent.

dts seems to rule the day!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 02-05-2002 at 08:40 PM