upgrade spkr and receiver for 5.1

hwatkins

I have spent a couple of hours researching answers here and have several visits to local shops to refine what I would like to do to upgrade my current Home Theater arrangement. I am not (yet) looking for 6.1, 7.1 or HDTV - I expect satisfaction with my mismash for several more years. While not being purely on the skinny side of costs, I am not going to heavily invest for any thing other than my HT whims on this system for the next 4-5 years. The following is existing setup (components are 5 - 6 years old):

-Hitachi 50UX26B/27K - 50" analog TV - Keeper

-HK FL8300 CD player - OK, Keeper

-Hitachi VTFX623A - Oh well, not a major part of HT anymore so I am keeping.

-Pioneer DV-525 DVD - I really like - keeper

-Digital Cable - all composite, take what they give me - keeping

-HK AVR40 - Been great but need to replace to get 5.1 and better video switching (I am going to go to S-video out for this TV) - needs replacement

-Heresy (circa 1980) main speakers - They are mine till I die - then going to daughter in will. I was a Klipsch fan before it was cool to be so (I was also a Jimmy Buffet 'parrothead' before they had a name for it).

-Infinity CC2 center speaker, not so good - needs to be replaced.

-Infinity surround - nuff said, will be replaced.

-Infinity Bu-2 subwoofer - don't shoot me, but this baby has been pretty darn pleasing (especially for two channel music and movies) so I will keep.

The room - fairly poor, this is a very open family room, HT. Open foyer behind primary seating (that means right rear is about 5 feet higher and the rear wall is 4 feet deeper than the left rear). Left rear not tons better - just to the left opens (about 8 foot space) to dining room/kitchen (sounds funky, but very nicely done - come by and visit when in town). I currently have rears evenly spaced and pointed to center - cool enough for pro logic, but offers a 5.1 challenge (a larger speaker would compete with Chandalier for space).

Restrictions:

- As much as I try (and want) I cannot get a heresy to fit in TV center - we have a beautifully done full wall custom/built in cabinet, bookshelf,etc. Having said that - Dave S. since we are both St. Louis area folks - if you end up with a heresy in the closet I will probably work the deal and raise my ceiling to fit if necessary.

- Sorry to say, Heresy in rear is difficult due to room config.

So far and request for advice:

- Reciever - Moderate price (remember I only want very good 5.1 with existing stuff). I am clearly impressed with Yamaha RX-V620 to date (gives me some stuff for gradual continual upgrade). Thoughts or other help?

- Center Speaker - Unless Dave S. comes through, I am looking at KLF-C7. Local shop trying to sell me on RC-3II, but you folks are scaring me on that. Thoughts on tonal matching as well as RC-3II?

- Rear speakers - Need lots of advice here. Assume I understand that Heresy all around is great and that is an option I am very much exploring, what are the next best(has to be ceiling/wall mounted)options. Local folks trying to sell SS-1, however I was not suitably impressed with them. Is SS good match? Which Klipsch is closest match (as noted above - other than Heresy)? I do want to stay with Klipsch.

Thanks in advance for all your help. My reading here to date has been very helpful.

HenryW

------------------

Henry Watkins

Henry, even in your "Eckert's Shades" you seem well intended on the road to building your own "Cheeseburger in Paradise" amid the "Buffeting" comments of the masses.

Having spread my 3MAIN preference all over this forum, let me there is no substitute for a Heresy in the middle... and you might try a little Phantom channel to see what you really have there.

Component is a big step up from composite... so at least moving as much to S-video is a good path up.

In similar modern but odd audio environments, I have mounted appropriate speakers on pedestals and but an art object on top... as if it were a decor thing instead of a sound thing. At least it has worked with past significant others.

The three mains (center handles over 75% of the sound of 5.1) are the most critical. Conventional wisdom puts the "rears" on the sides... facing one another. Walls help, but pedestal's will do until you rebuild your home and entertainment center Wink.gif... The only speaker in the rear should be "rear effects" speakers and they only come into play at 6.1 and above. But, any modern receivers will provide automatic 6.1 matixed from 5.1. A trend that is likely to continue.

I know your subwoofer all too well... and there will be a thorn in the side of sub 80Hz performance... particularly in your kind of room. There would be a world of difference with a musical new Klipsch... or, less expensively, a passive puppy from SVS that would instantly become a Big Dog in your household.

There's a lot to be learned on this Forum, and I hope you will share your writing skill and discoveries as your cheeseburger heats up in a raised roof paradise. At least your room config probably gets your standing waves Wavey.gif to run out into the open area. HornEd