Want to build a 2 ch. system around the rsx-5 ...Change of Plans.

Jack71

Hi, new member here. The title pretty much says it all. I'm thinking of picking up a couple of rsx-5 speakers and a 10 or 12" sub to build my own 2 channel sound system. I want something I can use with my computer and then occasionally move to my LCD television for use as an entry level home theatre.

So, I need suggestions on a decent sub to go with the rsx-5's (preferably something I can pickup up used for $200 or less), something to power the rsx's and a way to interface the system with my new 3.06ghz I-mac 24.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum to post this. I thought about putting this in the computer section but figured since the components I want to use are geared towards a more traditional setup, I would post here. Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi Jack, welcome to the forums.

I can't really recommend a sub since I haven't used many of them. The Earthquake Supernova I use is hard to find and really hard to find at a good price. Just check ebay and your local craigslist and you might just score a sweet deal on a sub. Look for some suggestions from others as they come in.

As for powering the RSXs, look for an A/V receiver. I personally am a two-channel guy all the way, so I only bother with two channel equipment. If you want to though, look into a multi-channel receiver. You can pay for the extra channels now and have room to upgrade in the future. I personally recommend Harman/Kardon receivers since their stuff is what I've been using for about the past 4 years with various amps and speakers and they've worked great and sounded great. No matter what kind of reciever you may end up with, it's easy enough to connect to any computer with a simple 1/8" inch to RCA cord, though that's for audio only. In my experience, for a temporary hook-up, it really isn't necessary to run the video through the receiver too...just a thought. There are much more complicated (and expensive) ways of hooking up a compy to your stereo, but the simple cheap Radio Shack cable has always worked well enough for me.

I hope at least some of this helps!

Hi. Thanks so much for the input! It was extremely helpful. The A/V receiver you mention would act as both a preamp and poweramp, correct? Can anyone recommend a decent one that can be had for a good used price? Can any of the powered subwoofers out there be used to push other speakers as well; kind of like you see with all-in-one computer speaker systems? Sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm new to the audiophile scene, lol.

These days, just about every receiver you can buy has all of that built in, so yes, that's right. And I've never seen a home audio powered subwoofer that had amplifier channels built in to power seperate satellites, like the computer speakers you mentioned. I've only ever seen that with a set of PC speakers, so no, that doesn't work. And you want to take your time choosing a receiver, especially if you've settled on the RSX-5s. It never hurts to go to the local electronics store and ask about stuff, just be aware that anywhere you go, they'll try and make a sale, especially on a more expenisve piece of equipment that you might not necessarily want. And again, I recommend Harman/Kardon receivers. Go to their website, read up on their units. You may decided you want to stick with a two channel receiver or go with a surround sound one so you can upgrade futher on up the road. It's all up to you really. And be sure to shop around on craigslist and ebay. If you see something that catches your eye, google it, read up on it. Do your homework before you lay down any hard-earned money so you'll be sure you got what you want.

And again, welcome to the madness!!!

Ok, slight change of plans. I was going to base everything around the rsx-5's but then I found a pair of Cherry finish RB-5 II's locally in great shape and for less than I would have paid for a couple of rsx-5's new. From what I've read, the RB-5 II's should be a superior speaker to the rsx, correct? I figure I can put them up on some stands they will make decent fronts. So now I'm going to need a complimentary subwoofer and (maybe) a center channel speaker.

I guess my choices in receivers has changed somewhat as well since the RB-5 is a different animal and requires more power to drive. I'd like to be able to use my Blu Ray player with whatever I get but honestly, the system's performance for listening to music is more important to me than movies. I keep hearing to stay away from certain receivers (i.e. Yamaha) because they are bright and Klipsch speakers are bright and so on. Any truth to this? I was looking at the Yamaha rx-v2500 which seems like a nice unit which good power and room for expandability, but I certainly don't want to get something that is going to be harsh or induce ear fatigue; I like to listen to music for long stretches at a time.

Absolutely get the RB-5s over the RSXs. And they won't necessarily need more power than the RSXs. They're a full 3 db more efficient, which is a good bit, so with the same amount of juice, you would get significantly more volume. As for a subwoofer, had you stuck with the RSXs, you would absolutely need one, but the RB-5s, maybe not so much. It'll depend on your tastes and how they're set up to see if you like the bass you'll get from them.

About the receivers. One crucial element that you haven't mentioned is how much you want to spend. And yes, Klipsch are fairly bright (at first at least), though the simple two-band EQ on most receivers is enough to take the edge off. I had very good results with my old RF-15s on my HK receiver. I hate to keep recommending Harman/Kardon only, but I've been using their stuff for some time now and love it. Probably won't ever use anything else if I'm honest. As for the Yamaha, I've heard them to be bright as well, but like I said, the built in EQ can at least do a little bit to ease off the bright high-end. The best thing to do is to read reviews online and check out receivers at the electronics store. If you can find somewhere that sells that specific Yamaha model, you might find that you don't like the way it works and that you prefer a Denon or Onkyo, you know what I mean? Like I said before, the best thing to do is research on what you're looking for before you spend $1100 on a receiver that might not suit you. In all honesty, it would probably work just fine, but at the same time, you could likely find something that works just as well for 1/2 the cost, maybe even less. I would go ahead and get the RB-5s, certainly and then take some time looking at receivers. It's not often that RB-5s come up, and they're certainly very good...sorry about the ramble. I hope this helps at least a little!

Thank you for all of the great advice. I did pick up those RB-5's. Great looking speakers, although the grill cover design leaves a bit to be desired. Why did they use plastic and cloth? Does anyone make a modern replacement?

Anyhow, it's funny you mentioned Harmon Kardon again; after I made my post I started doing some more research and became interested in the HK 7300. Seems like it would be a great choice if you can find one. I don't know if I need a 7 channel receiver though. Did HK make an equivalent receiver in a 5 channel design?

As for a sub, if I do decide I need one, is it better to buy a powered or unpowered one? Can you use a unit like the HK 7300 to power a sub or do you need a seperate amp? I mean, an unpowered sub in the same price range as a powered one should be superior (speaker wise) because you're not paying for the amp, correct?

I'm not sure about an equivalent model and besides, the AVR 7300 is discontinued. And like I said, it all depends on how much money you want to spend as to whether or not you go with 5 or 7 channels. Either way gives you room to upgrade in the future, just one gives you two more channels with which to do so. And about a sub, go with one that's powered. And that's not likely the case. Just because a sub doesn't have an amp doesn't mean that more money was invested on the driver itself. In all actuality, you'll be hard pressed to find a non-powered sub these days. Most of them that aren't powered are DIY. Besides, depending on how much you shop around, you can get a pretty decent sub for not much money.

I'd say I'm probably looking to spend no more than $400 for a used receiver (I try not to buy new when it comes to electronics). It will be hooked up to my HDTV and Blu-Ray player but like I said, I'm more interested in how my music will sound through it rather than an espisode of Star Wars, lol!

As for a powered sub, no more than $200 used. This is really meant to be a startup kind of system. I can always upgrade later.

You can easily find a decent receiver for 400. I picked up my HK-3380 (which is 2 channel by the way, the multi-channel Harman/Kardons are designated by "AVR", just so you know). Harman Kardon always has many many auctions for refurbished receivers directly from them on ebay, so just don't be afraid to buy from them. They're where I got my receiver, for 117 bucks shipped too, and I've had it for almost four years now. Am using it as we speak too. Here's HKs ebay page http://stores.ebay.com/Harman-Audio. Just shop around, you might strike a good deal and be able to move more of your budget over towards buying a sub! Personally, I'd get the receiver first and see a) if a sub is really necessary (it might not be, I don't use one) and B) how much money you saved from you budget and then have to spend towards a sub if you decide you want one.