Forte II passive radiator ???

johnymac

The other day I was putting a new window in my living room. While nailing the trim on, my cd case on the wall dumped about 50 cd's to the floor. Three of these landed on the back my one of my speakers, into the passive radiator. These speakers were mint. I am over it now, well kind of.

I did do a search out here and see several questions, but no real answers.

Before I replace, I wanted to ask if any other user out here have replaced theirs? If so, did they buy a replacement from Klipsch, seems a little pricey. Have it reconed, or replace with something like a :Dayton DVC385-PR 15" DVC Series Passive Radiator
I see a post on the web that this person states: It is an improvement over the "OEM" both in performance and appearance.

I was also thinking of contacting SimplySpeakers, or a last resort searching Ebay for a used one.

If I replace, would be nice to get any improvements that are out there.

I would also like to add, even with this large hole in the speaker, it still sounds great. I am not listening to vinyl, but these passive radiators barely move.

Thank you very much in advance for anyone that offers any information or suggestions.

'improvement' depends on what the OEM was like, I suppose.

The suspension and MASS of the passive are critical to the loudspeaker's performance.

Personally I'd go for the Klipsch model, it will sound best and preserve the value of your fortes.

WARNING, I certainly wouldn't play it very loud with no passive in the cabinet. You might cause overexcursion of the woofer and burn it out. Plug it with something if you're going to play it at all. Even a pizza pan or cardboard screwed into the cabinet would help. [pi]

Michael