H-K AVR x54 vs. Yamaha RX-V663

Eskimo1

In my neverending tryouts of different AVR's while I wait impatiently for the Emotiva UMC-1, I returned the H-K AVR 354 and now have a Yamaha RX-V663. I haven't been using the built-in amps on any of them, so I won't comment on that.

The Yamaha:

The on-screen display is absolute garbage. I can't put it any nicer. My gear is in another room, so the OSD is my lifeline back to the AVR. It's really, really bad. Not only can it not just overlay the picture (it must blank the screen, interrupting the audio), but there are no graphics at all. It won't show volume changes while watching something because of this. Because it requires as much processor as an Atari game, it does however respond lightning quick.

The iPod interface is also very quick. My biggest gripe with the H-K was the horrendous ipod interface, because besides being horribly slow, it had poor sound quality. The Yammy's is quick and sounds clear.

The Yammy's remote is a confusing, 1980's style lightweight box with tiny text, and really shows how confusing the receiver is going to be. The H-K has a heavier, elegant remote that's easy to use.

Appearance - The H-K looks like a pricy unit, and the display is plenty acceptable. The hollow knob with the white light in it is visually appealing. The Yammy has an amber display that looks out of place. The H-K is also significantly heavier.

Connections- The H-K has more of every digital conenction, but does not have a 12v+ output to switch amplifiers. The Yamaha does, in addition to 2 switched 110V outlets. (The H-K had one switched outlet)

Auto-EQ- The jury is out on this one. The 2 sound radically different, with the H-K being the more "accurate", but the Yamaha produces a "fun" sound, with more impact. I suspect the H-K has a more powerful EQ section.

Crossover- WTF, Yamaha? Wake up! It's the 21st century! A single crossover frequency for all speakers?!?! Yeah, the twin 10" drivers in the KLF-20's need the same frequency cutoff as the 5-1/4" drivers in the KV-2.. [8-)] The H-K gives you separate frequencies for front, center, side, and rear surrounds.

And, the most important thing.. how does it sound? The H-K was very smooth. I haven't had a chance to do much "critical listening", but I was pleasantly surpsrised that despite the Yammy's EQ giving a more "lively" sound, I didn't get any sibilance in vocals... I was braced and ready for it, too! The lower male vocal range didn't get boomy, again despite the EQ giving a punchier bass sound.. We'll see how things sound at higher volumes though.

Right now though... These 2 are priced very similarly.. I would overwhelmingly recommend the Harman Kardon - With every operation, it just strikes me as a better quality unit, and one that should be on the market in 2009. The Yammy needs a makeover...badly.

My onkyo 605 had a xover for each set of speakers, it worked ok. My new pioneer elite has one xover for all speakers, 80hz works very well with my system. Im kinda liking the pioneer elite mcacc better than the audyssey. was a little bright for my taste. the pioneer sounds warmer.

So all and all, one xover for all speakers isnt that bad.