Question on replacing woofer in KG 5.5

gregarious

After recently purchasing a pair of KG 5.5's, I discovered that a woofer in one had a voice coil rub. Over the weeks, it got worse. I looked into repairing it myself, and unfortuantely just ended up making it worse, likely beyond the point of anyone's repair. Currently, the woofer makes midrange and lower tones in movies and music sound awful.

Since I am otherwise more than pleased with the speakers, I am planning to find a used but working woofer to replace it with. Until I make the two hour drive into the twin cities to a speaker store, however, I am curious if it is ok to just leave the bad woofer unhooked and continue to use the speaker.

I have no electrical engineering knowledge, and am unsure if leaving the one woofer unplugged will cause the other one to get damaging levels of current. I don't want to have two woofers to replace, but from what I could tell, when I unplugged the bad one, it just sounded like twice the sound came out of the good one.

Thanks in advance for help on what may seem like a dumb question.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You have probably solved your problem by now.

After a few years, one of my woofers had the to come loose. On inspection, it looked like it just didn't get a 360 degree glue run. Why it started rattling after a few years (I bought my KG5.5's new) puzzled me but it was the case. I had already torn the speaker apart looking for a bent voice coil the way it acted so the damage was not repairable and was far out of warranty by then.

Long story short, just call Klipsch customer service. They will send you another woofer. It runs right around $100 each. Never noticed anything by just replacing one in my speakers, no mismatch or the like. Hope this helps!

Andrew