mounting in wall speakers close to wall studs

Jasonscott

I already posted this in architectural with no replies so figured this may be a better spot, anyways I just ordered a pair of r-3650-w in wall speakers and iv found exactly where i want to mount them, but the wall studs are only 9" apart in that particular spot. the hole dimensions off this site say an 8" wide hole is needed, so that will give me about only a half inch for each dog leg to come out and clamp the wall. Do you think this would be enough? Is there a way to cut right next to one stud and mount that side of the speaker directly to the stud, so than i could have a full inch on the opposite side for the dog legs. Any help appreciated thanks alot!

Hi Jason,

I suspect you are correct to be concerned about mounting the R-3650 with only 1/2" of sheetrock to hold them. If your situation will permit, I would suggest adding a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" block to the back of the studs on both sides of the speaker opening. Remove the factory mounting screws and "dog legs". Mount the speaker with a longer wood screw (or drywall screw) into the blocks. Be careful not to overtighten.

post-16963-13819445496684_thumb.jpg