RT-12d

holtrp

Alright, my local shop dropped off the RT-12d today and I have it through Thursday to demo it in my HT. So far, it is certainly louder than what I have now and the bass it produces is fairly tight. It has about twice as large a foot print as my Velo SPL-1200R. The guy from the HT shop didn't have the mic, so I used the one from my Velo, the Auto Room EQ runs pretty quick. Still not sure, those JL subs are amazing. At some point though, you have to consider $1600 for the RT-12d vs $3k for one of the JL subs. I could pick up a pair of Klipsch and still be money ahead.

The RT-12d handled Prodigy with ease, I would have done permenent damage to my hearing if I had turned it up much louder, but the bass always sounded good. The RT-12d was intense during one of my all time favorite bass tests, the opening sequence in Pink Floyd's Welcome to the Machine. I listened to this about 5 times and the Klipsch didn't let up. I couldn't keep it up when I walked over to the corner and put my head over the sub, it felt like I was listening to a very loud car stereo.

Cool chart. This sub is certainly louder than my Velo, though I don't think it is quite as musical as the Velodyne. Even at lower volumes, the bass lines of certain songs sound a tad 'boomy'. I have found about 5 more rattles in the hallway and in the bedroom on the other side of the wall the sub is on though. This sub seems to perform best in my space when the sub output is turned up to about +5 on my reciever and +10 on the sub with the Punch setting selected for EQ. My HT room is way too big, I bet this sub would make my chest explode if I had it in a smaller, room better suited for HT and speakers.

I guess I am still slightly on the fence. My dealer wants to sell it to me for $1600, I am thinking about offering him $3k for 2. This brings up another topic. I prefer the ways subs sound in the corners, always have. That said, I have two corners left to choose from for the placement of the second sub. My first sub is front left in the corner. I can place another sub front right or rear right in the corner. Any recommendations one way or the other? I have an AV closet so I will have to try them both out before pulling wire through the walls.

Thanks

I would recommend the front right corner, which will help smooth out room modes.

This will make the frontal bass impact better as well.

'boomy' huh? try lowering the crossover setting a bit.

I am a purist about rears subs. If you're going to add one in the back do it only after you have two in-phase across the front. and the rear sub should be tied to the rear (large surround speaker setting) signal to really not detract from the multi-channel presentation.

• Like 1