BEST Cornscala combination???? DIY EDITED

MikeMilliken

Can I get some help please? I want to start aquiring the parts to build a set of Cornscala's.

My questions are:

#1. 1 or 2 woofers per cabinet? 2 hopefully, I like bass and high power handling!

#2. What woofers are the best, one of Mr. Crites or some OEM Klipsch models, or maybe JBL, TC sounds?, and I can easily drive a 4 ohm load with my AMP's

#3. I want the BEST sound I can get and I have a BIG ROOM, high sensitivity is of utmost importance.

#4. What has been discerned to be the BEST mid horn/driver combo.. I dont care how big it is, WAF means nothing here

#5. What has been decided as the BEST Tweeter/ horn combo? I got a set of Dynaudio T 330's....also some B&W, JBL has always has some nice tweeters and horns, but I never see them mentioned here, is that "heresy" in this forum? I have never seen or used Beyma or CTS. Most familiar with Dynaudio, Peerless, Vifa, Scan Speak, Audax pro, ATC, Volt, JBL, EV, and Peavey.

#5.5 Should I build a wood horn myself for whatever is deemd to be the best driver? I have great wood working skills and a load of wood working/paint & body tools and the skills to use them effectively. I have built many speakers in the past. I used to do a lot of custom/pro sound work in addition to my personal projects.

#6 I am assuming the ALK crossovers would be the ones to ge, or maybe some else already has this all worked out?

#7 I have a KILLER 15" TC Sounds sub with twin 18" Passives, drivern by an active crossover and a 4 kilowatt amp, so the lowest octave is not necessary if I can gain something for it not being there. I also have an RSW 15, however I'd like these speakers to be able to do it all by themselves if possible.

#8 I'd like to thank any/all respondents in advance. I will take photos and document everything I do, this project will come to pass. You wont be wasting your time responding to this. I am in Central Florida (by Disney) and any members that would like to be involved are invited to take part in any phase of the process.

#9 I have looked through the forums to see if the BEST diy speaker has ever been resolved, but I have not found and consensus on it.

Respectfully,

Mike Milliken

From what I have been able to discern about horns, especially mid horns. The physics behind them say that the low frequency cut off of the horn is determined by its physical size. IE Bigger is better.

The horn design/flare rate determines its flatness in response. Ie Edgar, Tractrix.

I also think.. (correct me if I am wrong, PLEASE) That you want the mid crossover as low as possible, to the point of avoiding Middle C (300HZ), where the human hearing is supposed to me most sensitive, so maybe the best place might be 400 HZ with a 24/48 DB slope? I used to love the sound of a simple first order crossover, but I never liked the fact that this made most driver distort badly when you drove them hard, and I WILL abuse these like I stold them. So whatever I/we come up with has to be tough.

Is there a midrange driver (compression) out there that has enough output and response to go down to 200 HZ with a passive crossover and still be VERY accurate?

I'd like to stay away from active crossovers anything except the woofers/lowest midrange so I only got to run 2 amplifiers, so maybe, just maybe. I shouls run double 15's on the bottom amd then actively cross over to double 12's to take the sound up to the midrange horns?

I dont want to be complex if it doesnt have to be........ If theres a mid driver/horn combo that can go low enough for the dual 15's to cross over to cleanly then thats fine.

Thanks again for your consideration.