F-2s Popping

Bounty013

OK, lets see if I can explain the circumstances. I used to have an old sony 8" sub with my system. I bought a KSW-12 to replace it, discovered that the KSW sucked, so I took it back. Unfortunately I had already given away my other sub. (mistake). So I changed my system settings to show no sub and I am highly amazed how much low frequency response my F-2s actually have. I had never set the receiver to "no sub" before so I hadn't experienced the low freq handling of my speakers until this point. However, No I have a new problem. When watching some movies fairly loudly, (the beginning of Aliens vs Predator:Requiem when the space ship passes in front of the camera for example) the speakers roar to live with room filling bass until they produce two very distinct and very loud snaps/pops! Scared the crap out of me. I was watching the new INdiana Jones earlier and got the same thing, only this time it was far more than 2 pops. They were so loud that my wife jumped in another room. I am fairly concerned and really curious what this is. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I haven't explained well enough, I appologize. Please let me know what other info you might need. Thanks guys in advance!!

Well yeah your right about the F2's.They do drop pretty low. I know first hand as I don't have a subwoofer either and I love the bass out put that these guys have. It sounds like a receiver problem though. A few months ago I was messing around with the DRC in my receiver and in some action scenes the front speakers would crackle when it was turned on. Don't know for sure if you are having the same problem but it's worth checking out.

And this is why I have said for years that the Home Theater Technician's best friend is a good forum, and I'm pretty sure this has to be among the finest I have ever participated in. Mr Chapman, I do believe you have to be a genius. Why I didn't think to play with the dynamic range controls is beyon me. After setting the DRC to low, the popping took more power to reproduce. Setting it to med allowed sounds at well above my max listening level to reproduce perfectly. It now takes almost 10dB more to get the popping. Thank you very much for your fast relpy!!!!