Preamp-processors...what's new and is it better?

UFObuster

I've gotten along well with a Rotel RSP-1068. It will accept analog (multi-cable) from Blu-Ray, etc. Although I've not tried it. It does fine with 7.1 and two-channel (thru a dedicated 2 channel amp). It handles the usual multi-channel formats...DVD-A, SACD, DTS, Dolby, etc...but not the newest sound formats found on Blu-Ray....altough I know the players with do the processing and pass thru on analog.

Before I get too excited about any upgrade...is there really enough difference between the new Blu-Ray sound formats and the traditional "hi-def'" music formats. Now be honest about it. I listen to music mostly...and frankly don't find much media in music/concert DVDs which employ Blu-Ray. I don't want to spend $1-2 K dollars just to 'listen' to an enhanced Shrek-2. On the otherhand, if there is really an advantage gained in the new "lossless" formats, I may be interested as soon a media is available for it....(not just car and bus crashes in movies). But is the difference actually there or is it just hype. It has long been argued that standard Red-book CD quality stands up as equal to current mutli-channel modes if they are both compared (double blind) in two channels so the listener isn't wowed by the 'razzel-dazzle' of multi-channel. I think the link to this is:

http://www.theaudiocritic.com/

So, do I need to be looking around to upgrade this excellent processor I already have....or are there still people waiting for it all to shake-out into some solid consesus on this new media format?

Your views appreciated.

Thanks, Roger