Transmission Line?

slumberer

I'm looking to add low frequency extension to my system and was wondering if anyone had heard the coffin style transmission line subwoofers such as the perfectionist audio design? I have a SW-15 II and while it is fast and powerful, it drops off well before hitting 25hz in my room. I can't stand the sound of ported woofers (sounds like someone blowing in a jug to my ears) and wouldn't even attempt to build a transmission line sub unless it is very different. Any input or suggestions appreciated!

I have heard a good few transmission line nearly full range speakers. The bass has no audible colorations(same could be said for well designed sealed and classic ported speakers),for sub apps the size could be problematic.

Sealed is the best way to go IMO, two high displacement drivers with healthy BL in quite compact boxes and you are set.

To see what is possible with sealed check the HTS sub test section.They tested the venerable TC LMS5400(LMSUltra) in a sealed cabinet. Remarkable performance rivaling and besting most ported subs.In these configurations the amp/driver will amount for most of the expense.As the driver(s) and amp(s) have to be quite capable.