2 Qs about Onkyo 805 Receiver not Activating an RSW-15 sub (and HDMI Pass Thru)

nola

The 2 Qs:

With the used Onkyo 805 rcvr I just got, I have been able to set up my Klipsch RSW-15 sub. However, anytime I
listen to something, seemingly regardless of source input, the sub does
not activate on its own. After I hit the test tones buttons, and get to
sub, it activates a couple of seconds later. No diff between 1 plug in
or using a Y splitter into R and L sub LFE inputs. Never had this issue
with old Outlaw Audio 1050 receiver. After doing the test tones to activate
the sub, it functions properly per surround or stereo setting. Just
not sure why it does not do so in the first place. Anyone have a similar experience in their rig / in your set up, if so, how did "fix" it?

Does the Onkyo
805 have "HDMI pass thru"? That is, will video and audio "pass thru"
just to the TV when the 805 is off? I am pretty sure the newer A/V 876
does this. Previously I connected all 3 HDMIs directly into my Sony TV
(as my prior receiver did not have HDMI inputs) and used optical/coax
for digital sound for times when I used the receiver to process the
sound. The TV stereo sound via the direct HDMI cnxn was often ok when I
was about to fall asleep, etc. Currectly I connect my 3 HDMI devices
directly into the 805 and then have the HDMI out to TV - mostly for
video, but the HDMI out to the TV is also config'd to send audio to the
TV spkrs too. But with the 805 turned to standby (=off), nothing passes
thru
to the TV. As per the sub Q, is there some setting I should change?

Other
than that, works fine. Per others comments, the top surface does get
very hot, even with 5" clearance. Cools quickly when off, but I will
likely get a fan or a laptop type cooler fan set up for it. Electronics
don't like heat. Still trying to figure out all of the surround choices
between DD, DTS, THX, etc.

1. Try to get the signal going to the sub as robust as possible and turn down the sub amp volume to compensate. I also had some difficulty getting my Sony BDP-S550 to do right with sub out when using analog, but over HDMI it works fine with my Onkyo 706 and SW-15 II. It's a pain to have to mess with the sub every time to get it to kick into gear, I know. I would try to balance out the sub with the rest of your system by turning the levels in the receiver really high and start with low volume at the sub. Personally I leave the sub on all the time and don't use the auto on feature ( I have an aftermarket plate amp running the SW-15 II as the original amp was fried when I got it...thrown in free when I purchased my Forte IIs!). 2. Don't know much beyond that the 706 doesn't seem to "pass thru" either when in standby. I've found that my Onkyo is very touchy when it comes to HDMI CEC issues. Kind of sucks when HDMI is supposed to simplify things huh? I like PL IIx for surround music and HD discrete (Dolby or DTS) for movies. THX is good but sets all your crossovers at 80hz. My favorite DSP is the Neural surround in Yamaha gear, but I don't have any Yamaha stuff anymore.

Thx:

Only a few knobs and switches on the RSW-15.

The volume dial is on the side and has no markings per se, but the indent is at the 2 o clock position, so I guess I could increase the signal from the 805 and dial the RSW vol down to compensate.

Current calibr using RS SPL analog meter: L+2, C+5, R+3.5 (spkrs are very assym placed), SR+3.5, SL+4.5, and Sub-RSW (-) 6.Maybe the - 6 is the crux of the prob. As I write this I had the vol on the 805 set to Dolby PL II Orchestra absolute 71 (about 88 dB, nml for me is at abslt 58, about 76 dB) when I turned on the radio (from loud Led Zep last night). Sure enough the sub kicked on !!!

Xover is set, ?by prior owner to 105 Hz, Lowpass is set to LFE/disable

Auto On = enable Polarity is 0

I called Klipsch support about another issue (heritage Xovers) a while back. They recc that you turn the RSW off when not in use. I asked because the top got a bit warm (not hot like the 805) from the amp being on, even in stdby mode. 1 of my WF-34s sits on top of the RSW, vibrations decoupled by some thin boxes and spare blankets.