Projector problem and questions!

I have a Panasonic AE900U Projector and recently we noticed that when text is displayed there is a shadow of the text in red. The on-line store I purchased the projector from referred me to Hartland Diversified the service company for Panasonic projectors. They also said if it was a problem with the LCD (something) it could be an expensive repair. Hartland Diversified wants $135 to look at it which would be applied to the cost of repair should I choose to have them do the work. They agreed that a problem with the LCD (whatever) would be expensive and if critical it may be better to buy a new projector. I hate to send them $135 plus shipping only to find out it ain’t worth fixin’.

The picture seems fine but of course it would be nice to know what the heck is wrong. Anyone here experience similar problems or have any recommendations? Thanks!

Go over to the AVS Forum and do a search in the Under $3000 Projector Forum for "convergence" or "alignment" issues with this model... You'll get a ton of reading material.

The AE900U has 3 LCD's in it... and it sounds like the "red" panel's alignment may be off slightly from the other two (green & blue). Some projectors allow for this to be corrected using the service menu (which could be relatively easy/inexpensive), while others may need an actual physical re-alignment of the LCD panels or lenses (probably need special tools/expensive).

Unless you have a service manual and/or the code to get into the service menu of your projector, then you'll need someone with the knowledge to do that for you... assuming it can be corrected in the service menu.

If it were me, I'd try to find out if your Panasonic's LCD panels can be aligned/converged through the service menu. If not, then you have to decide if a $135 or more service call is worth it (for a near 4 year old model), versus the cost of a brand new projector.

Or, if "the picture seems fine" as you state, then it may not be worth worrying about at all, if you can't see the problem from your chair, couch, or viewing location.

• 2 weeks later...