1985 0r 1985 Hersy II Upgrade: Qs on Ohms to drivers, ? Bad tweeter

nola

I have a pair of H IIs, bought in Septermber, they should be from 1985-6. Round cup crossover network: a tangle for certain. Can't wait to recap these. :(

I have the Crites Sonicaps. I decided to check the Ohms across the input leads to the drivers. Bob Crites has noted that the readings might become bad with age, etc.

Are the following values normal / ok for these drivers?

K 76 k tweeter: No ohm reading on my multimeter. I thought It was working previously. I will have to recheck. No clear red dot to tell polarity, but the more reddish solder spot has a black wire attached to it. Does that mean the tweeter is bad? I will try to open up the other H II to check the other tweeter, but running low on space in the den.

k 53 k mid/squaker driver (to stock k701 horn; smooth outer surface) reads as 11.7 ohms while not connected to the crossover network.

I cannot read the name of the woofer driver. About 8 ohms, but the numbers jumped all over the place on the multimeter. Not connected to the xover network when tested.

Thanx from New Orleans

FWIW, I have a pair of H1's which were made about July of '84. When I recapped them, I asked Bob Crites(what a gentleman) about the difference in my drivers and what is usually in an H1. He told me that Klipsh was probably phasing in the drivers for the HII's and I got some. That being said, when I recapped, I took down the readings across all the drivers. Here's mine...

K-77 8 ohms, K-53-K 12 ohms, K-22-K 8 ohms

K-77 9 ohms, K-53-K 14 ohms, K-22-K 10 ohms

I don't know if these reading are out of spec. or not. I DO know they are in spec. to my ears.

Greetings all, I believe this is my first post. Although I am very familiar with this forum, having been an avid lurker and reader.

Running the H's off a Sansui G-8000 and sometimes a G-5700 (yeah I'm queer for Sansui).

JW

Guest David H

Nola, I see you had issues testing the woofer as well, have you checked you meter leads? If not hold the tips of the leads together and observe the meter reading. Should read at or near zero ohms, also check to make sure your leads are clean and making good contact. If your readings are constantly erratic the meter may have an issue.

GotHover,

Thank you. I just tried it. My $3 on sale Harbor Freight Multimeter read 0.4-0.5 ohms when "shorted". Perhaps the pointy contact tips needed a better and non dusty or clean surface to read. Also found that using little alligator clips usually solved the problem at the spkrs, the K 77s being most difficult to reach in the LSs. Variations did occur when reversing tips on the speaker inputs etc, but the spread always seemed to be under 1 ohm.

Although I am not done yet with the 8 spkrs, I have the following readings so far:

Spkr Network Driver Ohms - connected to network Ohms - not connected to crossover network

LT Khorn 1975 AA K 77 6.6-6.7 6.6-6.7

Stock K 55 V 0.9-1.0 11.1-11.7

K 55 M with ALK Trachorn, not connected to network, 10.6 (I have it sitting on top of an intact KH, and tilted down a bit)

Woofer, tested at network and on outer side of woofer box (never unsealed) 2.6 3.7-3.8

RT Khorn, not tested yet (network not recapped yet as it sounds equal to redone LT side. Caps were same cylinder shape and type as Sonicaps- ie, not spam can caps. Perhaps these AAs were redone before my 1988ish aquisition of the KHs)

LT LaScala 1979 AA, not tested yet. Not recapped yet. Spam can caps

K 77 RT K 77 6.9-7.1 6.9-7.3 tweeter

K 55 V RT K 55V ~1 11.0 squaker / mid with stock K 400 horn

Woofer, tested at network and at connector strip on top of bass bin, next to mid part of K 400 horn. Woofer "dog house" never opened.

LT woofer RT woofer 3.8-4.2 3.7-4.4

Ohms at spkr wire input LT RT 160s, minute later - 60s, minute later - ~8. Maybe the testing discharged the capacitors?

LT Heresy I 1978 E K 77 7.0-7.7 7.1-7.9 RT K 77 6.8 6.9-7.5 tweeter

K 55 V 0.8 10.8-11.1 RT K 55 V 0.9-1.0 10.6-10.7 squaker / mid with K 700 horn

K 22 E 7.3-7.5 7.5-7.6 RT K 22 E 7.4-7.5 7.4-7.5 woofer

NB: on Heresy Is, E networks were mounted on the opposite side walls between the 2 cabinets. Workmanship was first rate. The soldering on the E networks was first rate and good quality wire was used. By comparison the H IIs are poorly crafted and the round cup networks put PWK to shame.

After recapping, despite the blown H II tweeter, the H I and IIs sound more alike than they did before the recaps. I forgot to listen critically to the H Is before and during the recap process. As the H IIs sounded quite similar before and after recaps, I think the caps were bad on the H Is. I am surprised by the closeness in sound between H Is and H IIs now, although I can still distinguish them. I guess workmanship and sound quality are not so closely related. Thus, the low cost beater H IIs were a bargain.

All of my Heresys may end up as surround spkrs between main room and bedroom. But I am now tempted to make my bedroom set up: H Is front, Acad center, H IIs rear, RWS-15 sub. That would leave main room: KHs front, Acad center, and LaScalas rear (current set up). WF-34s would be left over and unused.

LT Heresy II ?1985-1986 Round cup crossover network All readings at driver not connected to network

K 76 K -no reading, will need new diaphragm, already talked to Bob Crites. Titanium repl were rec'd. RT 8.9 ohms Tweeter

K 53 K LT 11.7 RT 12.3 Mid / squaker with K 701 horn

Woofer (can't read markings from the back on LT) LT ~8, but readings were all over the place. RT was previously replaced before I bought them in Sept 2008, K24E - as read using a mirror-, 6.8-6.9 and 8.0. I think 1 set of reads was with network connection.

You can drive yourself nuts doing this, but at least I know / think my rig is back to factory spec. Also put in Crites washers at some of the K 55s (H Is and RT LS so far. H Is looked good, but RT LS washer was a bit stiff.) Took about 7.5 to 7.75 rotations to reseat the K 55Vs. The LSs were more tightly sealed by about half a rotation, over the H Is. Also had bug parts at the joint between the LS K 55 V driver and K 400 horn.