Good experience with Audio Advisor

sunburnwilly

Sunday night at around 10 pm I pulled the trigger on a factory refreshed Parasound 5250 . At noon on Monday I called to request that the shipper have it delivered to the rear entrance of the house . Too late , it had allready been shipped ! With free standard shipping it arrived a little after 9 am Wednesday morning .

Factory refreshed ? I don't know , there are no marks or any signs that it was ever owned by anyone else . My best guess is that it didn't meet spec when tested and went back through .

I know it's a bit overkill at 5 x 250 for Heritage but I like overkill ! For you folks with Referance set ups it might be just the ticket and they still have some left at $1,498. shipped . http://www.audioadvisor.com/ If you click on the link check out the clearance section . It will show my amp priced at $1,798. but when you add it to the cart it drops $300. . Pretty good deal on a solid , well built amp .

post-18289-13819475736158_thumb.jpg

Good for you! As you might remember, Parasound was one of the amps I auditioned at Read Brothers Stereo. I bought the Halo 5 x 125W and spent well over what you did. When was the last time you were at Read Brothers? That was such a cool place.

BTW - along the same line, I bought a current model refurbished Denon stereo receiver for $165 (including shipping) and that unit retails for $399. The one I got was dropped-shipped from New Jersey (which leads me to believe it came directly from Denon) and looks like it was never touched.

Tom

Good for you! As you might remember, Parasound was one of the amps I auditioned at Read Brothers Stereo. I bought the Halo 5 x 125W and spent well over what you did. When was the last time you were at Read Brothers? That was such a cool place.

Yep , David made some money off of you When dealing directly with the owners Tom and his wife Marion you would basicly take 25% off of retail and go down from there . Then they got these young guys in there and the deals were gone .

I remember not liking the Parasound Classic that we first tried with your Heresys . The Halo however had a sound very similar to my old Quad which I really liked . Audio Advisor has the same Halo that you had for $1,496 shipped ; open box item . I really struggled with which one to get , still am a little bit . But it came down to a few things . The Halo is an inch and a quarter deeper and would not fit my rack without a deeper platform added . Not a big deal but still . The color of the Halo would not have matched any of my other components except for the cable box . The main thing for me though was the THD specs of the 2 amps . .025% at rated power for the 5250 vs .2% at rated power for the Halo .

Read Bros. is still there , been a couple of years since my last visit . Still a very cool place . Where else can you buy fabric to redo your sofa and electrostatic speakers in the same place ?

You know, I hate to admit this, but I will.

The Halo did sound very nice on the Heresy's and much better than the others. However, when I got those hooked up to my Corns (via B&K pre/pro), I never got the Corns to sound like what I thought they should sound like. BUT, I passed it off as me just being finicky or summat. Then, several months later, I visit Chris Robinson (when he still lived in Hilton Head) to listen to his Danley big mo'fo' sub and while there he lets me hear his Corns on a ???? tube amp and I'm like WTHey??? Where's all that bass coming from? Seriously - I didn't hear anything like that from my Corns. And after that, I was convinced that I had gotten the wrong amp for my Corns or that the amp & pre/pro combination wasn't good or whatever. The bottom line was that I was never really satisfied.

Fast forward to a year or so ago and me purchasing a new receiver. And since finances and no more HT dictate price, I buy a run-of-the-mill B stock Denon with 85 watts/channel. I hook it up to my Corns in my minimalist 2.1 system and was just amazed at the sound. You know, the kind of change in sound that even the wife notices. Was it the same or better than what I heard at Chris' place? Nope - but it came darn close especially in the areas of bass and upper-mid smoothness. And then I noticed that my Sub12 wasn't on and was blown away. Seriously, my Corns have never sounded like they do now.

Tom