Help, USB soundcard volume

Klewless

I am using an M-Audio USB soundcard to my receiver. It has both analog and digital outputs.

I can control the volume at the computer and the receiver on BOTH analog and digital. The digital part is what confuses me!

Shouldn't the DIGITAL output level be constant? I am using iTunes for the source.

All I want from the computer is to stream the digital signal (WAV) from the harddrive untouched to the receiver. Is there any other device other than soundcard?

Thanks

Guest David H

I have run into this in the past. Best thing to do is set the output of the computer sound card to match the other inputs. All of my sound cards via optical, coaxial, and usb, have volume control through the computer. I dont think this will have any adverse effects on the sound.

Thank you for responding. I have tried the optical output to my receiver but got lots of loud snaps and pops (analog worked OK). Obviously something is wrong but I have not been able to discover just what was happening. Thought about buffer over/under runs or overloading input. Still lost on just how computer files are actually output.

I don't have anything to offer for help, but am wondering about what sort of signal comes out of the USB port to the sound card.

It's digital WAV?

I use a Turtle Beach Micro Advantage USB interface. It's just a little guy with analog out, but it does sound pretty good.