Custom floor standing speaker locations

tpatel30

I am planning on buying the Rf-82 series for my custom theater in my basement. I have curved walls on both sides of the screen. This is where im planning on putting the speakers. I'm going to cut a hole out for both of the speakers, but i was advised to not do this and go with in-wall. I went to my local expo electronics store and he advised me not to make a custom housing. As you can see im inept when dealing with speakers and home theater systems. Unfortunatly when shopping for speakers its very hard to tell who is telling the truth and who is lieing.

Please HELP! Thanks.

Strangely enough, the advice that you got is basically correct but you probably could do EQ to correct for the different in-room response of the floor-standers mounted in-wall. However, this would take some measurement/EQ equipment (such as a Behringer DEQ 24/96 UltracurvePro with ECM8000 calibrated microphone) and a little time to get the fronts rebalanced. You would probably need to leave the EQ on all the time when using the system with speakers mounted in-wall.

What is happening is that the diffraction of sound from the edges of the speaker cabinet change when you mount speakers flush in-wall. The floor-standing speakers were designed and balanced for non-in-wall use.

Chris