Runco cl-700 projector

khorn#1

I have been presented an option to purchase a brand new in the box Runco cl-700 DLP front projector. This projector is first generation DLP form around 2002 or 2003. I cannot find alot of info online concerning this model. I presently have a 73 mits rear projection that I use in my home theater. It has been professionally calibrated and is being fed by an lumagen outboard scaler which has been also professionally calibrated. the picture is really first class watching HD, DVD, and BLUERAY.

Im thinking of buying this Runco and an affordable electric screen and installing the electric screen to come down in front of the Mits TV and allow me to watch movies at around 110 inches. I would use the Runco just for movies to save bulb life and watch everything else on the Mits.I would need to recess the Mits into the wall which would be no problem and the projector screen would come down in front of the Mits when it was big movie screen time.

I can also feed the Runco into the Lumagen scaler and do all the switching from there. I could get the Runco for about 350 to 400$ and a budget electric screen for around 300 to 400$. I would like any feedback on this model projector. I know for the price even being an older technology projector it might be a no brainer. Just wanting any advice on this front projector setup. It's only a 720 projector.

Thanks,

Randy

Randy - I did a quick check on the specs of the projector you indicated and it shows 900:1 contrast and 1000 ANSI Brightness. I think if you have any ambient light issues then this projector may have difficulty producing a picture that you would enjoy watching more than your mits.

I know the specs do not always make the projector, but even doubling your budget could get you a much brighter, HDMI capable, higher contrast LCD projector that would not suffer from "rainbow effect" that plagued many of the early DLP projectors. I am also concerned that as your bulb dims if it could maintain an adequate picture on a 110" screen (the bigger the screen the greater the brightness needed with ambient light). One other concern is that placement and installation with early DLP projectors is very limited due to lack of significant zoom or lens shift (I think this model has a digital zoom which would decrease your image quality if used).

The good news about the projector is that it is inexpensive, but a significant portion of setting up a home theater is time. My guess is you would find yourself wanting to upgrade fairly soon and then having to rerun cables, etc. for lack of an HDMI. If it were me, I would want something that would be a significant upgrade from your '73 mits and I'm not sure this would be it.

I wish you well in whatever you decide.

Cpt John,

I have a dedicated home theater - 2 channel listening man cave in my basement. I have controlled lighting, no ambient light. I am really not expecting the Runco to rival the Mits. I guess really what I am after is a larger screen for movies only that will give me a decent display. The lumagen scaler will help a good bit with some of the pitfalls of this early DLP model. Connection cables from the projector to the lumagen I already have on hand.

The rainbow effects have me worried, never had a projector and I do not have anyone that I know that has a projector that I can demo from. Placement and installation I can deal with, I have a drop acousticle ceiling that will allow me to play with differont install positions. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible but at the same time do not want a lousy picture

Its got me thinking that maybe I just need to leave well enough alone and watch everything on the Mits and wait until I have the funds to do this right.

John, thanks for all your input.

Randy