Any Athena talk here? Have a problem if so...

I just thought about posting here since Klipsch bought Athena[:)] but then put them out of business [:'(]. My next set of speakers will absolutely be Klipsch. I love their sound, but right now I'm broke and don't have the money for a new set.

Here's the problem. I have a set of Audition series from Athena that include 4 of the AS-B1 first gen bookshelf speakers. One of them took a tumble off it's speaker stand the other day thanks to my dog and now the speaker is very quiet and the woofer barely plays at all. I've taken the speaker apart and nothing seems loose on the crossover and the woofer isn't making any weird scraping noise when pushing on the cone. I don't know if this is something I can fix or if I need to just order a new woofer and/or a new crossover to put in it. Plus the fact that the replacement woofer ($38) and the crossover ($21) are combined more than I payed for a set of 2 of the whole speakers new puts me off a bit. Any test ideas to see what's wrong or how it could be fixed?

Guest Jukebox Hero

This might be a little late of a response depending on what you were able to find out over the weekend, but the best way to test if the problem is in the woofer or the crossover is to remove the woofer from the cabinet that you are not getting (or getting low) sound from and swap it with the woofer from the other cabinet. If the woofer from the other cabinet has the same output as the woofer you just removed, it's the crossover. If the woofer plays fine then it's most likely a problem with the woofer. Hope that makes sense - it's easier to describe on the phone than typing out.

If you have any questions or still having problems, give us a call and we'll try to troubleshoot with you over the phone. And if you already figured this out, hope it worked out for the best and you have your speakers back up and running!

Alright, I do believe it is the woofer. I don't know how it could've done this from a fall from a speaker stand, but the magnet looks to have been bent away and separated from the basket. After seeing this I know what's wrong with it I think. I believe the pole piece may be pushed against the voice coil. I think I can confirm this by the reason that I can't push the cone of the woofer in at all. It's stuck in place not moving at all. It should have a nice easy push to it. I tried this on one of my other woofers and had no problem pushing it a little with no resistance at all. Guess I will go ahead and get another woofer unless someone knows how to fix it. I don't know how to get the magnet off this woofer. I think if I were to bend back the internals to the original location it may function again. Like I said, the money is not a problem at all. It just gets me that I'm going to pay for a replacement part that costs more than the whole speaker when I bought it.

" I'm going to take the woofer out tomorrow and just hook it up to a source to see if there is any bass response. " If the woofer makes sound, it could be the crossover, but it could also be the inputs or wiring inside the cabinet.

this is sound troubleshooting for a woofer, but DO NOT try it with other components. Hooking up a tweeter directly to a receiver sends dangerous low frequencies to the tweeter and might blow it if it isn't already.

Juke's troubleshooting tips are correct, swapping components (carefully) is good technique.

Good luck, Klipsch (and other Klipsch Group brands) tech support is only a phone call or email away.

Michael

Alright, I do believe it is the woofer. I don't know how it could've done this from a fall from a speaker stand, but the magnet looks to have been bent away and separated from the basket. After seeing this I know what's wrong with it I think. I believe the pole piece may be pushed against the voice coil. I think I can confirm this by the reason that I can't push the cone of the woofer in at all. It's stuck in place not moving at all. It should have a nice easy push to it. I tried this on one of my other woofers and had no problem pushing it a little with no resistance at all. Guess I will go ahead and get another woofer unless someone knows how to fix it. I don't know how to get the magnet off this woofer. I think if I were to bend back the internals to the original location it may function again. Like I said, the money is not a problem at all. It just gets me that I'm going to pay for a replacement part that costs more than the whole speaker when I bought it.

Yes, that is correct. If the cone won't move at all, what you have is the voice coil frozen inside the magentic gap in the magnet due to misalignment. There is no effective fix for this other than to get a replacment woofer.