RT12d RT-12d USB Control possible?

etc6849

I was wondering if anyone working at Klipsch could tell me more about the USB control option for the RT12d. I tried tech suport, but I couldn't learn much. What I'd be interested in is the technical documentation on the USB port when used for control so that I can integrate it into a home automation system. The manual says this is possible, but when I called tech support the person said this was not a supported/implemented feature. If it is implemented, but not supported, I'm fine with programming a driver myself to control the sub, but I need documentation (such as command protocols etc).

My dealer was nice enough to order the Klipsch calibration softare for the RT-12d, and I'm waiting on this. I'm curious to see if this offers any control options, but from what tech support tells me, I'm not sure it does.

What were you hoping to control with the home automation system? I
don't work for Klipsch, but one of the engineers showed me the
calibration software in his basement theater....I don't recall seeing
anything like what you might be looking for.

Nevertheless, the
only thing I could see controlling on the subwoofer would be the power?
Are the room acoustics changing in an automated way to warrant changing
the EQ settings on the subwoofer or something? And then volume could
always be controlled in the receiver menu. It seems to me like you
could just set and leave the subwoofer alone and then just toggle its
power through other means.

I would definitely be interested in
the command protocal if Klipsch ever ends up sending it your way. Does
your computer recognize a USB device if you hook it up? I wonder if
it's not just a USB serial port, and then maybe you can use your
favorite terminal client to figure out how to communicate with it. At
least I would expect it to be very bare bones since there's no real
advantage in making a complicated messaging interface.

I'm hoping I can control my sub with home automation software on a PC. I've been playing with neat free softare found here (for the last few months):

http://www.cocoontech.com/wiki/Premise

It is very easy to learn for an engineer like yourself so please try it out and help grow the community ;)

Now, what I plan to do if I can get the protocol is easily explained through an example:

1. I have an Onkyo AV receiver with an rs232 port. It was very easy to use Premise to create a two way driver for the receiver. With two way communications, I can walk up to the A/V receiver and hit DVD, then the software sends commands to a network based controller (GC-100) that turns on the DVD player, dims lights, sets the TV to the correct input etc... Two way control is very useful in this case as it lets me also change volume on the AV receiver front panel and the computer will update the stored volume value within Premise.

2. Now for the Klipsch RT-12d (that I got a great deal on from a local dealer :D ), I have already created an IR driver for Premise that also includes buttons for the Automation Browser (that's the web page Premise server (called SYS) generates automatically, allowing for control of anything in my apartment from anywhere in the world (assuming you have IE 5 or greater). This driver lets me adjust phase, level, low pass filter, set user defaults etc using a tablet pc. The only problem is that when I change volume level, I don't have a way to get the volume level from the sub to the PC, as IR allows for only one way communication with the RT-12d. In case anyone wants the IR driver (that includes the CCF codes) it is found here: http://www.cocoontech.com/forums/index.php?autocom=downloads&showfile=105

I'm hoping as you say the USB port will show up as a virtual serial port allowing me to interface it to my PC (in addition to the IDE called Builder that allows for VBScript, Premise also has an SDK that lets you program custom add ins using C++, VB6, or .NET). However, without the protocols, I don't think I can figure it out...

Oh wow, I just noticed you're from Naperville....I've lived in Aurora most all my life.

Interesting software....I wish I had more time to dive into something like that.

I've only heard the RT-12d a few times in very different rooms, but overall I'd say it is a very solid performer. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of all the automated EQ methods out there, but that's a totally different issue....the point being that I think it's a feature that I would be fine without and being able to purchase the sub for a bit less because of it. I definitely like how Klipsch always chooses to optimize their subs for music playback and they don't get all crazy style with the low frequency extension....which means less distortion at the higher frequencies. Klipsch does real good passive radiators too....it's night and day difference when you compare against the chuffing/pipe resonance of your typical ported sub. Although I've never seen the issue, I've heard the RT-12d can have a tendancy to walk around the room? I guess I just don't listen loud enough.

Sounds like I'm gonna have to hire you to come over and wire up my home theater for automation after I get it all put together. I've always wanted to be able to control my stereo with the iPhone.

I actually thought about doing home automation installations as a side business, but to be honest, engineering salaries in nuclear power are too high to justify the time off and I travel off and on too :( I know I love programming and setting up neat electroics a lot more than real work though. If you ever do want to try something like Premise, I'd be willing to help with some of the software setup if you ran all the wires.

The RT-12d does start to rock back and forth on each leg at very high levels. I've only seen this during frequency sweeps or when using the on board demo. The big rubber feet do fine with keeping it stable during this rocking motion.