TV for audio pass thru

willrz

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a used Aragon Stage One pre-amp for my TV/movie watching.

I understand that it does not accept HDMI connections, but I’m looking at using my TV as the video and audio switcher.

The TV is the Panasonic TC-P50V10 which according to the Panasonic representative I’ve talked to has a digital audio pass thru.

What I would like to do is connect my cable box and DVD player to the TV via HDMI and then connect with one digital audio cable to the stage one.

Any thoughts.

Saw your other post on the old Stage One thread. If you can avoid it, don't use the TV for video pass throuh.

Here is a recommendation from an old hack....

Buy the stage one...you will be pleased. If you need an outboard Amp in addition (ie you dont already have one), look at Emotiva.com . They have a great midpriced 7 channel amp for around $600 and have great sound. Otherwise, plan on spending $1500 to $2000 to get some good amps to run your speakers.

As for the Audio side of things...Run your Cable Box SPDIF out to the Stage one via an optical digital cable and run the HDMI calbe to the TV for video (effectively using it as a monitor).

Do similar with your DVD player until you upgrade to BR. Then, either buy a blu-ray player with discreet 7.1 audio output or purchase this item to handle changing the LPCM sound to analogue http://www.ambery.com/2hddodtsdihd.html . I am tossing around the idea of getting one of these to try with my PS3 and older non HDMI reciever.

By going this route, you are only effectively losing the new Dolby Pro Logic and DTS NEO soundfields that came out after the Stage one was produced. The BR player will output the 7.1 Sounds via LPCM. Technically it is not Dolby True HD or DTS Master, but it is very similar (ie splitting hairs).

The Stage One will come with a phillips pronto remote that will automatically make sure the right components are on and switch the the right inputs anyways. If they don't sell you the pronto remote, don't pay more than $700.00. You can easity pick up a logitech harmony remote off ebay though, that will do te same thing for under $75.00.

Thanks for the reply.

I've considered your suggestion of spliting the audio and vedeo signals. And yes that seems to be the overwhelming opion I've been advised also by others. This approach would give the best vedeo and audio solution for a preamp without the HDMI pass thru, but there is the switching issue. Interestingly of three experts (including your self) I've asked two say go splitting one says use the digital tv pass thru.

That issue your've answered. But the other reason for my concern is quick frankly my wife who is a remote recker - literally, and a button pusher when things don't go her way.

What is the concern with passing the digital audio thru the tv and back to the preamp. Is it signal loss ? If so why is there no issue if I had a preamp that could take a HDMI vedeo signal and pass it thru to a tv?

I'll be upgrading from an Adcom GTP-600. As far as amps go I have two Acurus amps, the 250, and the 200x3. A standard 5-1 system that will not be upgraded any time soon.

I guess what I'm reading between the lines so to speak that though the Stage One though is not the latest, it's an upgrade at least worth looking at. As I've not heard the new Dolby Pro nor DTS NEO soundfield - I don't know what I'm missing anyway.

again thanks

Are you sure that the TV has digital pass-thru? My Samsung has "digital passthrough" but all it passes is two-channel audio.

As far as your concern about switching if you decide to "split" the video and audio signals-- that problem is easily solved with a Harmony remote.

Edit: Looking on AVS forum, I found this post:

Which reminds me -- ONE PROBLEM with this TV. For some stupid reason, the optical digital out on the TV will output in stereo only when viewing an HDMI source. Panny tech support confirmed this, which makes the output really useless. It could have been VERY NICE to have a single optical audio cable running from the TV, but I found 50-foot cable cheap enough it doesn't matter too much. But not passing an optical signal in 5.1 (at least) was a real bonehead move by Panasonic.

(I don't know that it was a "bonehead move," I just think it is probably more difficult than us laymen realize).

My wife is a remote hacker too. Given that, I would purchase a Logitech Harmony 550 remote. They are fairly cheap ($75 or less on ebay) and are all but fool-proof.

There is a caveat to the fool proofnes. YOU have to set the remote up correctly. Simply put, their is an LCD screen which will say things like "Watch TV" "Listen to CD" "Watch Movie" Listen to Ipod" or whatever you want it to say. Once you or your wife clicks one of those corresponding keys, the remote switches every single component to the correct Input for that function. So for instance if you were watching Cable, it would put the TV to the HDMI input that cable is plugged into and switch the stage one to the Input that you have Cable box plugged into for sound.

And if something is not working, there is a help button the remote that asks questions of the user. It will say is TV turned to HDMI 1 or is Stage One Turned to TV/DBS etc. If you say no, it applies the fix.

Again, I think you are better off splitting vs using the TV as a switch. My Panny has Digital Pass through, but it downgrades it to 2.0 and using a Stage One, you are going to want to get the best possible Sound Connections you can. Otherwise there is no reason to drop the price that stage ones are still going for.

If it gets to a point where you are still concerned...take a look at the Onkyo Integra 9.9 DTC. I have seen a few go for $700 to $800 lately and it has all the new soundfields and HDMI switching...and for what its worth, I think they sound Darn good as well...of course your choice of AMPS is going to have a big impact on your final sound as well.