ksw10 downfiring sub

pandaboy50

my sub diaphragm has a crack in it. I was wondering if I would be able to just replace the entire speaker whilest keeping the original box. I was thinking is it possible to throw in a focal car audio sub into the box? how would it sound? if not focal what sub (speaker) should I replace the original with?

I'm not familiar with the KSW10 specifically but based on my experience with an old vintage 1980's JBL 380 15" sub, I recommend that you give it a try. The 380 had a single-voice coil woofer designed to be run by a separate mono amplifier fed by a dedicated electronic crossover that came with the unit. Anyway, while I was on an assignment abroad my then teenage son destroyed the woofer driver trying it in a car application and I inherited back the original near-pristine enclosure and (now superfluous) crossover. So a year or so ago I tried putting a dual voice coil car subwoofer in there ($150.00 - see photo) and am running it through a separate old stereo amp off my main system's subwoofer output, with Klipschorns, no less. The speaker brand I found at Bullfeathers car audio is Memphis. Results: very nice, very musical. The big ported box yields a "warmer," more musical sound than my Velodyne S1500R especially on things like symphonic cellos and double bass. But it digs way down to belly-stirring sub-30 hz levels too.

Be aware that car stereo speakers are typically 4-ohm impedance so you want to be sure your subwoofer amp can handle that. It may be more difficult to find a dual voice coil woofer with 8 ohm impedance if that is what your sub amp must have. It also may be that your KSW10 amp feeds a single-voice coil woofer. That's easily seen if you look at the back of the woofer. Is there one pair of voice coil inputs or two?

post-10590-13819499613116_thumb.jpg