reciever output

randog

i heard a pair of rf 7 s, and im wondering if my rf 3s could sound like em if i hooked up too a 200 amp reciever vs. my 100 amp yamaha. my question is will buying a higher end reciever step up my rf3 sound? right now im still playin em with the rxv 800..

I think you mean watts.

While I can't say,I can say this from my past experiences.

With the addition of a seperate 2 channel amp(only twice the power rating) to my reciever,the difference in sound quality was not a jump-up and down difference,but an improvement I am happy with.

Seperate amps can make a difference even when using the reciever as a pre-amp.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides 2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801,2 Denon POA-2800 200X2,1 driving the Horns&1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

Sony DVP-C650D,Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD,JVC S7600U S-VHS,Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.'90 27"RCA

This message has been edited by Steve P on 03-03-2002 at 07:18 PM

randog,

To answer your question...

"i heard a pair of rf 7 s, and im wondering if my rf 3s could sound like em if i hooked up too a 200 amp reciever vs. my 100 amp yamaha"

The answer is NO,the RF-7's have better tweeters,much more impact on bass(thanks to the dual 10" mid-bass drivers).Detail will not be the same,gig efortless impact not there.

A good power amp will help the RF-3's no doubt,as reciever amps have inflated specs and dont have much guts(Denon 5800,H/K 8000 and Carver C1000 do).If you add say a ATI 1502(two channel)amp the impact will be greater,any audible strain at higher SPL gone.But you cant transform a RF-3 in a dramatic way to make it sound as good as the RF-7.Unless the RF-7's are driven by a YORX SuperDuperBass MegaEconomy trash can amp.

Steve,

Denon's POA-2800 is not a big jump from the 3801 integrated amp.I did test the Denon and Pioneer "power" amps VS ATI,Celeste,Bryston and the north americal amps are in another class.Softer sounding with real woofer grip the Denon does not have.

And I have a 3801(had a 5800...now sold Smile.gif )its a good sounding reciever,matched with the ATI 1505 its a H/K mauler(my 1505 is BUZZING a bit Frown.gif ).

And then there is the...Krell FPB600,YEAH this beast eliminates the need for a sub with the RF-7's.Whew power to rattle the foundation.I am telling ya with the FPB600 the RF-7's have no use for subs,unless the largerst pipe organs are concerned.Its quite a show,BIG speakers powered by a BIG amp with BIG(Monster M Series M2.4B wires)cables.BIG sound deluxe

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

TheEAR,

Ya I know the POA-2800 is not a"big"jump up from the 3801,but I feel any time you take the load off of the reciever,it helps.

It was and still is a very good amp and does a very good job at low level dynamics.Made the difference I was hopping for Smile.gif

I have both the Klipschorns and Heresy center bi-wired and each amp is now "seeing"close to a 4 omh load,which to the POA-2800 is close to if not past 300 wpc.

Only paid $300 each for them.Don't have a Bryston pocket bookcwm35.gif

Hey,if you have a spare Bryston laying about,let me check it out.I'm good for itWink.gif

We only have about 10K in this HT and we are happy(for the moment anyway)

------------------

Steve & Becky's HT