For a 5.1 setup look at this... give me an idea if it will work

Shiplemw1

I was thinking about the following plan:

using the component audio outs on a dvd player, using the left and right mains rca's converting them to mini plug and hooking those up to the inputs for the fronts, doing the same thing for the rears. Then for center channel I was thinking of buying a klipsch center channel, converting the rca to mini and using a 4.1 as a amplifier to this, maybe wiring the two front channels into parallel (120 watts)to drive the center channel.. then maybe a klipsch ksw-15 sub for the lfe channel of the component audio. sounds like it would work, maybe, let me know, later

1) never heard of component audio out, only video

2) if you mean the 6 analog audio outs, then yes it would work since it's line out. but i'd personally use a 2.1 system for the center channel, it'd be simpler than a center channel with dedicated amp or with a 4.1 amp (what would you do with the extra sats?)

3) dvd players with those 5 analog audio outputs are expensive. just bite the bullet and save up and buy a real system with dvd, decoder/integrated amp or receiver (which decodes dd and dts), nice speakers, and of course a SUB and tv. that way you don't have to commit to an expensive dvd player that'll be obsolete in a little while.

Well, uhhh... I already have a dolby digital receiver, infinity 3-ways, and a sub... but would like to add the klipsch in there for some real punch... only problem with this... is that my receiver (JVC 778 BVK) doesn't have pre-outs..... I can pick up a dvd player (specifically sony 560 model for 300 at most) and to get matching speakers (center, surround and mains) that sound like what I would want to sound would be about 1250 onto that, but I wouldn't be happy with my jvc so I'd have to go with a yamaha or onkyo receiver which would add about 500 to that, so lets see.... maybe I could just run a toslink (optical) cable to my receiver, set it up so it runs just the center channel and the infinity's and then run the connections to the klipsch and use those also, only problem would be volume matching, I'd have to set a level on my reciever (say volume at 50) and then would have to match the klipsch to that for the specific volume and would have to be able to find that each and every time.... hmmm that might work, might have to give that a try....