sub output signal strength

Has anyone done any testing in regard to signal degradation when i.e. 1. splitting sub out signal. 2. using sub cable at various lengths (longer than 50 feet). If degradation is present is there a inline signal booster that can be added that will repeat the signal without modifying the signal? I am doing some very primitive testing by simply playing test tones to a sub that is connected via a split cable, and using a SPL meter measuring the sound pressure. One cable is 15 feet and the other is 100 feet. When the sub is connected to the 100 foot cable there is about a 2-3 db decrease. My only conclusion is that the i.e. I need to use a higher quality 100 foot sub cable. Currently using Monster bass-300(let me requalify that. The 100 feet is derived from two monster bass-300 50' cables spliced together with a barrel connector), or im loosing throughput someplace (the barrel connector) or the signal is degrading as a result of i.e. splitting the line, or the cable length. I guess I could try to connect the 100 foot piece direct and that would eliminate splitting the signal as the culprit "duuu", but I really don't think that splitting the signal would have much of an effect because when the sub is connected at the 15 foot cable it plays louder. This lets me know that the signal strenth is most likely the same at least to the 15 foot mark on both cables. What do you think??

------------------

MM

This message has been edited by Marathon Man on 03-04-2002 at 10:57 PM

Oh.. One other possibility is that the anomaly could also be roon acoustics. The sub is being tested in different locations of the room. I bet if I were able to bring the sub connected to the longer cable and put it in the same location as the short drop I would get the same SPL. I might have answered my own question. I really don't want re-run that cable.

------------------

MM

This message has been edited by Marathon Man on 03-09-2002 at 08:54 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Marathon Man:

Satisfied with the testing I have done. Attempting to close thread

only moderators can do that

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>