Surrounds over powered

chad27

Hello all my name is Chad. thanks for any help in advance. I am new to home Theater I Have a budget and small house. But I wanted good quality and listned to alot of speakers. I ended up with the rs-10 for surrounds rb-35 for fronts and a friend gave me a SC.5 for a center channel speaker. for the reciever i have a pioneer vsx-1019ah--k-7 channel. I know this setup aint the best but it was better than a small theater in a box from a chain store. the sub is sw-350. I guess the question here is it seems my fronts center included really out power the rs-10 surrounds. I know surrounds shouldnt be heard all the time but i never here them.

Check your receiver's owner's manual. You should be able to adjust the level for all speaker sets. You should adjust the surrounds to a level you're comfortable with. I'm sure your center could use a boost to keep up with your rb-35's. Looks like your mains and surrounds are pretty well matched. Some time in the future, you may want to find a center that is better suited to the rest of the system. Welcome to the craziness that is the Klipsch Forum!

Thanks for the welcome. I am planing on the center upgrade. I have only one more question concerning the rs-10 the side mounted ones are about 3ft in front of the sides of my couch due to a hallway im wondering if this has an affect on the sound?

are you saying your side surrounds are not 90degrees from you, but 3' in front of you?

if that's the case, i just went through that. long story short, i ended up changing it because i hated it! i almost never heard the side surrounds and when i did, thought it was comming from the mains. i almost threw the entire system out, i for a while thought it was the RF-7's.

if your side surrounds are not 90degrees (or at least very close to that) it will sound funky (at least to the two of us).

don't get caught up in 5.1 or 7.1, if your room only holds or works correctly with a 3.1, go that route.

me personally, i would rather have a kick butt 3.1 than a thrown together 5/7 set up.

good luck.

well first of all your surrounds are too high. you don't want them no more than 2'-3' above your seated position. i can tell you this, i have to have my surround and rear speakers at different heights due to the distance. since my surrounds are farther than me, i have them at 48". my rear surrounds are only 4' (angled dimension) and i sit 2' off the wall. those speakers are at 40". i had a friend over to see if i was crazy about this but he confirmed what i was hearing. i had all the speakers at 48" and it sounded like the rear speakers were off. i then had all the speakers at 42" and it sounded like the surrounds were turned off. so logical thinking i put the sides at 48" and the rears at 40" (i only lowered them 2" more inches for cosmetic reasons).

i know it sounds crazy but it is true. are your surrounds equal distant from the middle seat? i would lower your speakers to about ~8" from the back of your couch. i would start there and adjust until it sounds good to you.

it looks like you could have that one rear speaker mounted across the hallway and the other on the far wall, looks like it would be even. what i did to make it easier to test which height worked best is made some speaker stands out of 2x4's. i went to lowes and had them cut all the different heights and then had them cut the 1x8 for platforms. was very cheap and easy.

yeah, mount the speaker there, if that works for you. don't forget to lower them. that may work out better for you. it's still not the greatest location, but may sound better. i wouldn't put any holes in the walls either, i would do the cheap stand "trick" or find something to set them on while you do your tests.