ALK crossover upgrade with photos

DTLongo

Herewith a set of photos of an ALK crossover upgrade to my 2003 Klipschorns. They are his full top-of-the-line setup, a pair of Trachorns plus his ES-400T and ES-5800 extreme-slope crossovers. Al Klappenberger, who lives nearby, himself performed the install 10/31/2009. Further info is in the captions to the pictures. There are some 20 photos in all. I'll post listening impressions (so far, favorable) later after I've lived with the speakers for some days and had time to audition more material that I know well on them.

#1 - Trachorns and networks in Al's car

post-10590-13819512236876_thumb.jpg

#12 - another view of the woofer unit. This unit is the "gateway" for the whole system. The center pair of wires is the input from the amplifer. The right pair is output to the woofer driver. The left pair outputs to the midrange and tweeter crossovers. The latter allow the user to adjust relative midrange and tweeter levels by moving jumpers on respective transformers. ALK provides documentation showing what connections to use for what result. ALK's default setting runs the midrange 6 db down which is what I'm using for the time being. It sounds good relative to the stock setting which to my ear had the squawker too "hot."

post-10590-13819512299704_thumb.jpg

#17 - closeup of grille showing Trachorn and tweeter outlines more clearly. Compare with photos #2 and 3. On installation one can choose to position the tweeter inboard or outboard by inverting the mounting board. Since my speakers are fairly widely separated I chose inboard. AL K. says that the vertical positioning of the tweeter increases its horizontal dispersion somewhat and that "that's the way it should be mounted."

post-10590-13819512324462_thumb.jpg