Symphonic power metal

99PanozAIV

I've recently discovered this genre of music and am really fascinated with it. I've always respected the vocal abilities of operatic sopranos and the instrumental skills of many of the heavy metal bands, but I really did not like opera itself and I didn't like the growling male vocalists in most metal bands. So, I can now listen to two things that I have always respected but never found musically to my liking, combined into a single type of music. I'm hooked.

Anyway, I discovered this type of music when I found Nightwish. However, since the singer I really liked, Tarja Turunen has left the band, I've been looking for other similar music. So, this is what I've found so far that is to my liking. If any of you have similar tastes and know of other groups I might like, I'd appreciate hearing about them. Also, here's a link to one a couple of the songs from Nightwish's End of an Era DVD if you've not heard of this type of music.

Bands: Nightwish....

Amberian Dawn....

Atargatis.....

Edenbridge....

Leaves' Eyes.....

Coronatus.....

......and how do you create paragraphs in this composition window anyway? All my text just gets jumbled together?

Who boy! Where to start!

Of course, you already found/listed many of the better/more well known ones:

As you probably also already discovered, there is a TON of this stuff out there - you got to know where to look

As I've probably got about as extensive of a collection of this kind of stuff on here as anybody else, I also recommend checking out the any/all of the following (most of these are female fronted)::

Epica

Xystus (especially thier incredible album Equilibrium)

Luca Turilli (and by extension, Rhapsody of Fire, which used to be just Rhapsody)

Luca Turilli's Dreamquest

Mortal Love

Lyriel

The DreamSide

Aesma Daeva

Within Temptation

Delain

After Forever

Angtoria

Beseech

Erben der Shopfung

Flowing Tears

Katra

Lunatica

Mercury Rain

Orphonic Orchestra

Syren's Call

Theatre of Tragedy

Whyzdom

Persephone's Dream

The Gathering

Beholder

Dark Moor

Darkwell

Dawn of Destiny

Ebony Ark

Ecliptica

Ephemaral Sun (this one is very technical - definitly more progressive than power)

Estatic Fear

Eyes of Eden

Lacuna Coil

Sirenia

Trail of Tears

Without Face

Seven Kingdoms

There are some pretty darn good bands with symphonic elements that are not necessarily female fronted.

Check out some of these for a taste:

Stratovarious

Sonata Arctica (especially thier most recent one)

Symphonity

Amaseffer

Kamelot (as already mentioned)

Sons of Season

Susypre

Hourglass (although this is also more progressive than power)

Beyond Twilight's album For the Love of the Art and the Making