Promedia Ultra 5.1 + Macbook Pro

LebCa

I'm trying to pair the Promedia Ultra 5.1 Ultras with my Macbook Pro either through the optical-out port to a receiver that has ports for the 3 Kilpsch cords from the Sub. Or I could run a firewire interface that has enough output ports for the Kilpsch cords.

I'm not really sure how I should approach either option. Any ideas?

I have a white macbook, which is definitely low end, but a Creative Soundblaster Xfi 5.1 USB surround card I bought for $50 was pretty easy. It has the three outputs for the Klipsch cords, but it also has TOSlink Optical Out which I am using with great success. My macbook is from work but my home laptop is a Dell, so whenever I need sound from whatever laptop I just move the USB cable. It doesn't get easier than that.

Here's the product if you are interested: http://us.store.creative.com/Sound-Blaster-XFi-Surround-5.1/M/B0017QQQAE.htm

Best Buy has them on sale sometimes. Worth every penny if you ask me.

One caveat: at least on my Mac, in order to get iTunes to output a stereo signal through all five speakers I had to use the MIDI application (in Applications | Utilities) so it would send out a stereo signal to all speakers. Otherwise it would just use the front left and right speakers. You can read the steps here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t87336.html

However, if you are going to switch your audio between computers, or you think you might, an external 5.1 USB surround card is a good purchase. I cannot recommed this setup enough if you want easy, cheap, and good sound. Audiophiles will insist on the optical out from your mini jack, but you have to buy a converter for it just to connect to a standard optical in and it will only work on your Mac.

The only downside I've discovered so far is that your USB sound card needs to be plugged into a USB jack on the computer and not a USB hub if you are using a ton of external devices. Sound can get distorted or interrupted if other devices on the hub are sucking up the bandwidth.

Hope that helps.