Using different surrounds w/ Promedias

Recently, I've noticed some problems with my rear surrounds (there would be cracking and popping sounds when playing some songs), so I decided I'd use my OLD small 40W Wharfedale speakers as surrounds. They work fine and sound better than before, but I'm just wondering -- should there be any problems with it? FTR, I'm still using the original pre-amp that came with the first Promedia 4.1s; the surrounds are rated as 89 dB; cover a frequency range of 150Hz - 20KHz; 5.5 KHz crossover; and are 8 ohms. I don't think there should be any problems with power, since I believe the Klipschs are rated at 60W, but just checking...

they are rated at 60 watts 4 ohms not 8 ohms.

switch the fronts sats with the old rear sats, do you have a problem? if no then hook up the promedia's like they should be hooked up. play stuff, get a crackle? ok if yes then on the back of the computer, switch the black and green cords, does teh crackle move? if yes then the problem is the computer, if the crackle stays in teh rear it could still be the computer but difference troubleshooting.

1. the crackle moved to the front. turn down your equalizer. move your sound card further away from your video card. reinstall your sound card (make sure that you are not getting the sound wit h a certain mp3 or song, use a high quality mp3 or a cd to test this)

2. you got a crackle but still in the rear speakers, could be another equalizer thing. or it could be the preamp. if it is the preamp, you can get a new one from klipsch. but it will cost you, depending on which one youwant to get, you have the v2.400's right?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Tech Support

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just the rear left speaker that's damaged. However, since different surrounds wouldn't match (at least in this case), I used "replaced" both speakers. My speaker is probably just damaged by someone knocking it over. However, to my ears, my current configuration sounds better, so I'm more curious if there may be any possible problems with this set up.

so it is just this speaker with the problem then?

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Hmm... I was just playing a song and I just got the crackling sound again -- I guess I was too quick to say the problem was fixed after a limited amount of listening. However, the crackling/popping is less -- I used to get an average of 3 - 5 per song, and it now occurs only during certain parts of the song and less often. To soon to make that judgement though, I guess. Anyways, I think the problem lies in the old preamp (I am still using the original ones in probably the first batch, as I'm unsure of the model number)? It seems more likely than the amp, since it occurs mainly during the highs.

so you have the promedia v2.400's? do you have a headphone output on the control pod?

also, if it comes with certain songs it is gonna be the computer more than liekly, turn down the equalizer and see that that does

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

Damn I am stupid. I, under your original advice, just pulled my computer out of its cubby and found out my left connect was unplugged! Probably happened during my frequent moving of the speakers.

Oh BTW, I still haven't gotten around to ordering the "new" preamp (the one I am using is the old one w/o an on/off switch, nor headphone outs), since I'm getting a new computer in a few months and will upgrade my speakers at the same time.

Thanks for your help.

Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support