Good mix of system volume and main volume?

Hi all...

Got my 2.400s for Christmas and love them.

I do have a question that is probably "personal preference"... but here goes.

I have a SB Live 5.1 that the 2.400's are hooked up to. Before last night (and with other speakers that I owned), I had the computer's volume at 100%. Just didn't sound like I was getting a good surround sound from my back speakers. So, just on a whim, I turned the system volume down to 50% and have the 2.400's main volume at about 11 o'clock.

Sounds really good.. maybe a bit better than before - bass definitely sounds stronger and "thumpier" (if that is even a word).

Basic question then - what have other people noticed was a good setup or mix between their computer's volume and the main volume for their 2.400s.

Thanks,

Jeff

Using the v.2-400's preamp (and my previous Cambridge MicroWorks/SoundWorks setup), I had my SBLive's main volume at approx 90%. Using the CP-1 that has replaced my v.2-400's preamp, main volume is backed off to approx 50% (because of the CP-1's increased sensitivity), bass is set to 65% and treble is down to 90% to help cut some of the high-end "sizzle" inherent in the v.2-400's satellites. Main volume is adjusted only from the v.2-400's main volume control...I don't fiddle with the soundcard's volume settings once these levels are set. One advantage in lowering the soundcard's main volume is that you pick up much less of the soundcard's noise...the SBLive is not famous for it's low noise level. biggrin.gif I have the original SBLive full version (the first release).