Buzzing in my high frequency horns

biglaz

Is the amp you use for the HF the same as the one you use for the LF? If not, then you might have a ground loop. If they're the same, then my next guess would be a bad cable or something along those lines.

Does unplugging the input cable to the HF amp get rid of the buzz?

I do not have anything fancy, but it does work. I always have a little hiss from the compression drivers but it is very, very low.

I use the amp section of a Harmon Kardon 3485 stereo receiver rated at 100 watts RMS. A little overkill but, I do not have anything smaller at this time. The mids are powered with a Hafler 120 and the bass section is powered with a Rockford Fosgate stereo amp, 250 watts RMS @ 8ohms. A Behringer active xover CX3400, crossover points - 500 and 7000, and an Audio Control 10 band EQ.

Speakers consist of:

Highs - Emminence APT 150

Mids - Electrovoice DH1a 2" driver with 90x40 CD horn

Bass - 5cuft Vented cabinet with an Emminence Kappa Pro 15lf tuned to 35hz.

Have you ever tried running your system 2-way? the DH1A is easily
good to 18kHz after CD EQ. Which 90x40 CD horn are you running?

Sounds like a pretty nice setup. Is your rockford fosgate a car audio amp, or something they did special for home audio?

I'm glad it turned out to just be a cable...that's probably one of the easiest things to fix once it's been identified as such.

[8-|]The amp was something I picked up at a sale of discontinued stereo equipment about 20 years ago. It has been serviced once since then. I am attaching a file for your info. Yes I am thinking of going 2 way. I had it set up that way and decided to try a super tweeter. I actually think the EV driver sounds better without a super tweeter. The horn is from Parts Express. It is a Goldwood GM-450PB for $49.25 each and they sound just great. Actually I think I am going to change it back to two way over the holidays.

RF2000_amp_man.pdf

Dang, that amp is pretty oldschool / hardcore. How does it sound? That manual looks like it was written by an engineer [:)]

Ya, the DH1A is a pretty awesome driver. I wouldn't be surprised if it could keep up with the APT-150.
http://archives.telex.com/archives/EV/Drivers/EDS/DH1A%20EDS.pdf

How do you dial your system in? By ear? I was noticing the Behringer CD EQ comes real close to offsetting the plane wave response of the EV driver.

I have only used the Rockford amp for the low end for the last many years (sic). It will pound the poop out of the bass system. Back when I did private DJ work I would bridge it and drive up to 4 EV 18" subs without ever clipping.

I set up all my systems by ear and experience. Seems to work. I also do not have any measuring equipment.