Oh ... the trials and tribulations of "original" vintage SS receivers

Ocnorb

When I received my first HK730 it had been handled so roughly by UPS that the large caps in the output section had been dislodged from the PCB

It did not work............. I managed to repair the damage but it still has a 60HZ hum in the phono section I can not correct at this time

When I received my HK930 it was not damaged and sounded GREAT...........but not for long....... I used it a lot and it soon developed cap related buzzes and hums on power on and excessive hissing at idle..... so I know the sound quality while playing has been compromised

My KR-9600 which I have had forever is too bright for the Heresys or the LaScalas and now phono 1 is pooched... probably more capacitor related stuff

My second HK730... which I bought for parts to repair the first one.... has (for the moment) no hums, buzzes or hisses... and actually sounds better than any of my other stuff with the 'Scalas at this time............. but I wonder for how long

The vintage sound is awesome .... until you use the equipment on a regular basis and the poor old caps soon degrade and the sound suffers.

The HK930 had by far the best sound (for me) when I first started using it............ it does not now have that same sound, although it appears to be the power section that has degraded the most

I guess I will start by recapping the output section of the 930 and see how that goes and then maybe continue on with the the pre stage (so many more caps to do though)

I have other "vintage" equipment that I bought when it was what was "new" but with continued use it will all suffer from the same malais I am sure

Wondering whether I should just say **** it and get a Fisher 400/500 and recap it ...........decisions, decisions

My previously available "lunatic budget" has been severley reduced due to the current economic recession and my megalomaniac music plans have been put on hold............... for now

Oh well...... will just carry on.... some of it still seems to work as it should and in the end It's all good anyway

rant over

Jim

I hear you, brother. It is better to have loved and lost than not to have loved at all.

RIP:

Quad 606 (Dec. 6, 2009 - Jan. 5, 2010),

& many of my dearly missed Crown amps, preamps, xovers & bridges

Yamaha RX-Z1 - (Aug. 2009 - Oct. 2009),

HK Citation 12 power amp (2000-2003) - Ocnorb - email on way

Slainte. Hamish