Good subwoofer for KLF-30 speakers

irishboym4

Well, I am on a Pro sub kick, AND you already have big speakers what's one or two more?

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Theatre%20Series/4645C.pdf

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4645c.pdf

Also go to Cinema section on the Klipsch Product page

Both requires you to get your own amp, EQ, and nescesary cabling. However, you will get clean, high-output bass. Drawback is they're large.

if you're staying consumer, go loyal, get the THX subs (Pair) and the AMP. The only drawback is it expensive, and doesn't have as much output as pro-audio solutions.

Of course there is the variety of internet direct retailers that offer big bass in medium sized boxes for well under 2K USD.

Sorry about the link, it works but you have to cut and paste it. I haven't figured out how to actually put links into posts. The Tuba HT would cost you around $300 since you already have an amplifier. This sub only needs about a 200 watt amplifier to get to insane volume levels.

Here is a link to the plans website which is $15

http://billfitzmaurice.net/THT.html

If you go to AVSforum you can search through their DIY forum and see about 10 different build threads that are very informative. Here is a link to my build thread. There are pics throughout the build thread.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1196669

If you do a search on AVSforum you can also use THT (short for Tuba Home Theater which is the name of this subwoofer)

This sub is a beast! You can find graphs and all kinds of data on the avsforum regarding the abilities of this awesome subwoofer.

Your 300 watt amp will EASILY push this sub to levels of nirvana.

DIY is rewarding, but ensure you have the capability. Tools, time, and more time.

When I was in High School and College I built many subs and speakers. Now, I lack DIY time, and I am willing to sacrifice some budget for what JBL or Klipsch make. but not too strapped for time blow the budget on a well designed and integrated sub from a commercial design... such as tempting designs as JL Audio's F113.

So my recommendation is based on time and money. More time = DIY More Money = Complete Design.

The factor I can't control is education, and to get on my soap-box, that's you're responsiblity, stepping off soap box.. Hope this helped and not sounded too preachy.

HSU Subwoofers are great, my annecdote: I used their automotive subwoofer in my car back in high school and college.

I recommend 2 or more subs, if you get any subwoofer.

Look up Floyd Toole and subwoofers on JBL or Harman internationals website for justification to why. My opinion ~$1000 is the line in the sand for price to performance ratio in anything to do with audio, speakers (ea), amps, or subwoofers.

also did some more research. 2X (JBL 4645C ~$1000) + 2X (Crown XTi Power amp ~$500) + Velodyne SMS-1 ~$400 + $50 cables= $3450 (!)

-But > 120 dB output 120HZ on down, which match the KLF-30 capabilities ( read hometheaterhifi's review of the Klipsch KLF-30)

The THT can do 120 dB. See link.

The wider you make the sub, the more flat the response becomes. Most guys don't have to have a huge amount of EQ to get some pretty flat response. This subwoofer seems to be an exception to the $1000 line in the sand according to the opinions of most, at least most guys on the AVS DIY forum at least. This sub can actually compete with the Danley DTS-10, but for a fraction of the price.

Yes, the plans show that you can make it as small as 36 X 36 X 18 all the way up to a complete cube. The plans show a cut sheet lay out for a 24 inch wide version. You do have to account for the skill of the builder, but as you read through the 10+ build threads on AVS forum you soon realize that this is NOT a difficult sub to build (though I was frightened since I was one of the first build threads on AVS forum so I had less of an idea of exactly how difficult this build would be) I for one am pretty scared of woodworking, not very good at it at all. But after building this sub with my buddy Joe I would definitely tackle building this sub by my self with a good table saw, jig saw, clamps, saw horses, and brad nailer.

As far as equipment to tune it, I assume that you mean EQ? I have only used the Audyssey Multi EQ that is part of my receiver and am pleasantly impressed with the audible difference it made and right now have no further need to do more EQ balancing.

Hope I didn't derail this thread too far for the OP, my apologies.

If anyone has more questions about the THT please go to the powered subwoofer forum and see my thread about my Tuba HT subwoofer-

What's been keeping me busy for quite a while (project pics)