XF-48 just purcased, hook up?

blackhawks21

I just purcased some xf- 48 speakers tonight. Eventually, I hoping they will make a fine foundation for my 7.1 system. Being that i'm not a rich man, I was thinking of placing them with the hd500 speakers and an pioneer 1019AH reciever ( both around 500 $). What do you think ? will this work well? I just bought a mitsubhi 65" hi def tv(wd-65737)DLP and a samsung bd-p3600 blueray player with 7.1 hook up. My question is what is the best way to hook these to my tv, can they go through the blue ray? I really don't know what i'm doing, but I have done some research. I figure for now untill I can put the rest of my system together, these speakers are a deffinent upgrade from my tv's(lol)! How should I hook them up and what wires should I buy to do so, I'll only have the amp plugs for the speakers when they come next week. The tv is awesome and with blueray the picture is hard to beat! Money well spent :)

Thanks in advanced

Gary

Guest larouchea

Gary,

I am very glad that you like the XF-48's. I am the engineer that designed the acoustics for this speaker so I think I can help you.

Your Receiver should be the HUB of your system. All Audio and Video should channel through your receiver. Honestly connecting the wires is the easy part. Using the menu system to set up the receiver (which is a lot more like a computer than just a receiver) can be the challenge. The Pioneer 1019AH is a good receiver for that system.

First of all, the XF-48's are fully active speakers, which means that there are amplifiers built into the speaker. The HDT-500 in my opinion is not a great match for your system. If you are set on building a 7.1, I would look at adding an XL-23 as your center channel and XB-10's or XL-12's as the surrounds depending on the placement (XB for tabletop and XL for wall mount). These center and surrounds are designed to match the XF-48. The XF-48 speaker and XL-23/XB/10 system is the system that I am most proud of the design. You will be VERY happy with the acoustics of that system. If you are wanting to buy an HDT-500 system, it is a very good value system, but it will not match well with the XF-48's. I would suggest that you buy the XL-23 and XW-500d now with your Pioneer receiver. Then, after you save a little more money, but one set of XL-12's or XB-10's. This way you can build a great system over time.

I guess my point is that the HDT-500 would work great for you, but the level of acoustics does not match the XF-48, so you may be inclined to upgrade later. Of course, that is an option too, buy the system that you have outlined above and then later, you could upgrade the center, etc at your leisure and move the HDT-500 to a bedroom or other space.

To answer your question on hooking up to your tv, I would suggest the following:

Hook the Blue Ray to the receiver using HDMI,

Hook any other devices to the receiver (Xbox 360, CD Player, Turntable, Wii etc) using any method you wish but HDMI is the simplest and best choice.

Then run a SINGLE HDMI cable from your receiver to your TV. This will send the audio and video signal to the TV.

Hook the speakers to the Receiver.

That is all you have to do besides configure the receiver. When configuring your receiver, you will need to assign the HDMI input for the Blue Ray player to a specific "input' (Like "Blue Ray" or DVD) These new receivers allow you to route the in's and outs in alot of different ways.

I am sure someone at your local Best Buy or HiFi shop could help walk you through the menu's of the receiver if you are not sure how to navigate them.

I hope this has been helpful. Good luck with your new system. I really hope you enjoy it. Let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks

Andre

Andre,
Thank you for your reply, I can't imagine their is a better person to get my advise from ! I will follow your advise to the letter. I know your probably going to cringe when you hear my next question, as a temporary system(money), can I hook these up directly to my TV as a replacement for my TV's speakers? I have a Mitsubishi wd-65737 dlp TV. I only see 1 audio out, if you could take a moment to look up the TV and see the connection panel I would appreciate it. Just to see if it is possible and tell me what connections I should buy to make it happen. I'm about 6 months away from more speakers and a receiver and would like to use the speakers now if possible, got a very good deal on them.
Thanks so much!

You should be able to do that if the AVR Audio Outputs on your rear panel provide variable audio output. Look at the user manual and see what is says about the audio outputs. My user manual says this:

AUDIO TO HI-FI Output
These jacks provide variable audio output to a separate stereo amplifier. With this connection, the audio to the stereo can be
controlled by the television’s main volume.

Just use a standard RCA interconnect from the R TV output to the line in on one xf-48, and do the same thing for the L channel. I got my xf-48's today and will be experimenting with them this coming weekend.

• 1 month later...

Hello Andre,

So glad I saw this reply from you.

Your one of the engineers of these babys !!!, you should get awarded in the music hall of fame,

I go to top clubs every weekend in New York to hear dj's spin, just so I can hear great sound, And what ive heard so far from these speakers,(only the xf48s so far ) easily outclases the majority of the sound systems Ive ever heard. Thank you !!!!

I was wondering if you could help me.

I just purchased my new speakers from klipsch, ( I have had klipsch for 10 years and they really are the best speakers in the world, ) But this time I went all out and got some really nice ones and I really want to get the best out of my new babys are need help with what wires to get.

I have just got :

2 of the XF-48,

XW-300 sub

3 of the XL-23 so that I can use them as centre and 2 x surround for movies as well as music.

I also purchased a receiver. The Onkyo-SR-806 THX to use with them ( I hope I made a good choice )

I want to know what speaker wires I should get ?

is the monster ones any good.

I was told that I need to use "line wires" for the xl48s to go into the pre-out of the reciever to get the best out of them and then a sub cable and then use 16 gauge wires for the 3 XL-48s.

this is were I am completely useless. is this information correct that I was given ?

please tell me , what type of wires, cables etc I should be getting and whats the best to use ,

The onkyo receiver has many connections, this is why I chose it.

Please help as I am completely stuck, I have looked online for help for a few days now, and I am getting all different responses which makes me even more lost.

You are the one person that I know will be right.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Cheers

Wayne Townsend

waynetownsend10@hotmail.com

• 11 months later...

Hey, I'm really new to audiophiles etc, ive always stuck to the tvs speakers. I never really thought that audio could be thst much of an improvement that it would vouch for a large sum of money. I've just bought a brand new tv and the only thing I could think of is surround sound to improve my viewing experience. I'm droning on now so I'll get to the point ^^.

I am seriously considering the xf-48 system as I've heard amazing reviews about them and from my limited knowledge, they seem good on paper. Again I'll reiterate the fact that I'm a serious beginner to audio knowledge. Tech-wise I'm generally good; anywhoo, could you suggest what types of cable, makes of them etc, and any other points you think would be helpful to me. I'm thinking a pioneer vsx-33 av receiver would be my best bet also, so any info linking to this would be most helpful.

Thanks in advance guys

Connor