Remember Audio Alchemy?

Prana-Bindu

This is my problem (inter alia):

I want to use Perpetual Technologies P-1A DSP device. My CD player only outputs via toslink. P-1A doesn't have toslink input.

My idea is to get an old Audio Alchemy DTI jitter filter, which can accept toslink and output via I2S to P-1A. However, there isn't much info on the DTI filters out there, and I don't know which one to get. First of all, since the P-1A does its own upsampling and "interpolation", is there any reason to get the later versions of the filter (2.0, Pro, 32Pro, Plus, etc.) instead of the first version? Is the jitter filtering better in the later models?

Also: what's up with the different Power Station power supplies Audio Alchemy came out with? Would the use of an upgraded power supply for the DTI in the above-described configuration make a difference? What about the Monolithic power supply? I know it's made to run the P-1A/P-3 combo, but will it also run the DTI in addition to those two units?

I need the help of some of you audionuts that can remember that far back. Help me, Audionut, you're my only hope....

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Boxes that will do what you want:

Original DTI - provided jitter reducing buffer, no resolution enhancement

DTI Pro - dual phase locked loop jitter reduction, provided "resolution enhancement" and re-dithering. Dither could be set to 16 bit, 18 bit or 20 bit.

DTI Pro32 - 2nd generation of DTI Pro. Actually, reason they had to come out with the Pro32 was that the chip they used in the original Pro was discontinued by the manufacturer, so they had to go to an alternate source. (I think that Motorola was the manufacturer of the original DTI Pro chip, and TI was the alternate they turned to, but I might have those reversed.) Whether Pro32 was an improvement over the original Pro I'm not sure. It was marketed as one, but there seemed to be some disagreement in the audio community as to which really sounded better.

Each of these three boxes came standard with a "wall wart" power supply. There were (at least) two different "improved" versions of the power supply available. Better power supply was supposed to make any of the boxes sound more better. Smile.gif

Perpetual Technologies unit provides 3rd generation (4th? 5th?) of the original AA resolution enhancement / jitter reduction / redithering algorythm. My guess is that you would not gain much by putting a DTI Pro or DTI Pro32 in front of the P-1A, but I really don't know. I do know that putting one of the basic DTI boxes in front of the P-1A will at least let you convert from TOSLink to something you can route into the P-1A.

I would NOT assume that the I2S interface on the DTI is compatible with the I2S interface on the P-1A. It probably is, but years have passed, and there are various flavors of enhanced I2S connections out there. I'd definately drop an email to Perpetual and check on compatibility.

I have, in my attic, two (count 'em) two of the original DTI boxes, with a couple different versions of the power supplies, not sure what the model numbers of the power supplies are. I also have the original DTI Pro, with the upgraded ROMs that do not muck with the HDCD low bit encryption, and the Power Station Three (top o'the line power supply) to go with it.

I'm using the DTI Pro, but would be willing to sell it to you if you're interested. If you want one of the basic DTI anti-jitter boxes, you pay for the shipping and it's yours.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I KNEW it would be Ray....

I had a moment of thinking outside the bun this morning: I called Perpetual Technologies. The dude that picked up the phone was Mark Schifter (sp?) himself -- the brain of the whole operation. He told me they put Audio Alchemy DTI's in front of all their P-1A/P-3 combos. Apparently, the DTI (any one of them) would bring the jitter down to about 20 picoseconds before the P-1A got a crack at it. However, the use of the DTI would have another benefit: it would strip the signal of some kind of ecryption (PCMsomething) before it reaches the P-1A. This is apparently quite the noticeable benefit. Mark also said that, for my purposes, the better power supply would not be a must-have. Is a cheaper power supply just another source of RFI and EMI? I want my snake oil, and I want it now!

Ray: you rock! I'm sending you a private message or regular e-mail. Peace!!

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....