ProMedia 5.1 troubleshooting advice

mithridate

I'm the proud owner of the original ProMedia 5.1 (bought 8 years ago)! I recently moved, and was giddy about unpacking the speakers so I can finally experience that great sound again, but...

...tried two computers and different cabling...

... and still, sound (not just thumping, but what can easily be considered music) only comes from the sub-woofer/amp unit, and the satellites only push some crackling and some unintelligible human speech (but not song). If the satellites do push anything, it's at 1/2 or 2/3's of the volume of the woofer. (As a side note, and this may nothing to do with what's actually wrong with the amp itself, but the Klipsch S4i earphones sound pretty bad when used via the control unit (compared to directly off of the iPhone).)

Given the problem description, my questions are:

What is likely the cause? Technical jargon is welcome, because it facilitates good web searches.

DIY-repair possible? If not, worth pro-repair? If so, via Sybesmas or rather some local shop?

Thanks in advance for any and all input. I'd really hate to say good-bye to these awesome speakers!

• 3 months later...

Sounds like the amp went out. Mine just stopped working period yesterday. The unit turns on but there is no sound from anything. My guess is you will have to pull the amp and send it in to Klipsch for repair. This is what I had to do about a year ago when my amp went out. If these speakers weren't so good I wouldn't bother doing it again but I can't find any computer speakers that are any better.