Positional Bass

Agent Eagle

I have just got my system 2 weeks ago, and I've noticed that the bass output of my RSW-12 is very positional. I have it set in a custom wall entertainment center. At the listening position, it puts out okay bass response, but when you move 5 feet to the right, or back, the low frequencies are just phenominal. Due to the way the room is situated, moving the sub is out of the question. I guess what I am asking is; Is there a way to change the positioning of the bass response without moving the sub ? Also, I just attached a Y-adapter to the L and R inputs on the sub. Is this recommended, or not ?

My System:

Reciever - Denon AVR4802

DVD - Denon DVD2800

CD - Denon DCM270

Fronts - RF-5's

Center - RC3 II

Rears - CS650R (4)

Sub - RSW12

Eagle guy, first of all... great equipment! If you can't move the sub you'll have to move your ears.Good move on the 'Y'.Will give you a little extra output.How do you have your mains/center set,large or small?

Keith

hey it's a 4802 so eagle i'd also like to know where your adjustable crossover in it is set? Wink.gif

like keith says if u can't move the sub you may want to move yourself. i find myself watching movies next to the front door & using mirrors. Biggrin.gif

seriously i long for the day when i got a room w/ more sub placement flexibility. cwm35.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Thanks guys.....I have my mains and center set to small, with the crossover on the sub disabled. I am running the sub's frequencies off the reciever, set at 80hz. The y adapter has definitely given me more output. I just bought an SPL meter and balanced my system. That seemed to help tremendously.

eagle, great yea that meter really helps in the balancing act. interesting 80hz on the denon sounds best. have u tried the 4802's 60 or 40hz settings? may give the rf-5 a lil more slam. but thing is it's universal so that also takes the rc-3 down that low which may be too much. time for an rc-7? Biggrin.gif

really if that sounds good, well if it ain't broke...

still i find tweaking the setting to be an ongoing process. cwm20.gif

i have my pre/pro set at 50hz for all (universal cross like yours). seems to work best for all material, but my C7 handles the lower bass a lil better than the rc-3. rock-on!

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 03-21-2002 at 03:12 PM

Also, I wanted to know if there is any way to get the sub's "Auto on" feature to react more readily ? It seems that you have to turn the reciever up a considerable way before it will fire up. Is there any harm that can come to the sub's amp, if you turn the "auto on" off, and just leave the sub powered up all the time ?