Buy damaged speakers?

em.jay

Hi.

This is my first time here, I'm hoping to get some advice.

12 months ago, I was just browsing through the HT section of a local 'big-box' retailer when the guy offered to demo the Klipsch Quintets for me.

I was so blown away by the sound that I bought them then and there! I hadn't even been planning a purchase - lol

Well, it's time to step up, but my funds aren't exactly vast. There are currently F3s on ebay in my area going for $500 (retails here for $1200/pair)

The reason they're so cheap is because they've been damaged.

My plan is to use these as the new L/R and move the Quintets to the surround and rears for a 7.1 setup. Then in a few months buy a new center.

My real question is, do you guys think that these speakers are a good buy, with this much physical damage at less than half new price?

They're about 6 months old, apparently. NO way I'm going to buy without hearing that they're working fine, but if some of you guys could check the pix at the below link, and let me know your thoughts, I'd be appreciative!

Thanks

Matt

Pix:

http://pbckt.com/sb.ddif

I bought a pair of perfect F-3s for $275. I was going to use them for surrounds but ended up not having the room. You do not want to buy f-3s for $500 especially if they are damaged. During black friday a few years ago they had them for cheaper than that. Look for some used rf-62 or rf-82. I got my rf-82s for under $500 in perfect shape. Check your craigslist and good luck.

Hi.

Thanks for the quick reply.

However, I probably should have mentioned, I'm in Australia.

The cost here is much higher than you guys pay, even though the AUD is about 0.9USD at the moment :(

Maybe it would help to not so much think about the actual $$$ since you guys get much better prices.

A quick search shows these available for about $450 there, so this us probably equivalent to $200 (less than half new price)

Thanks again.