Do amplified speakers get damaged by using speaker level inputs? (XF-48)

I just purchased a set of Klipsch XF-48s, and was asking about setup on another forum. My current receiver, an Onkyo TX-SR508, does not have multiple pre-outs. One person on another forum warned me that:

"The XF-48s have built in amplifiers. They are specifically designed to be used with
line level audio signals. Therefore, you can't use the speaker outputs- you can damage either the XF-48,
or the receiver, or both.

Unfortunately, you can't use amplified speakers with your Onkyo - it
doesn't have the proper Pre-Outs that you would need. I would recommend
returning the XF-48s and relpace them with regular speakers."

Can anyone confirm if this is true? It seems strange that Klipsch would have connections that could not be used without the danger of speaker damage. Also, couldn't they just connect to the Onkyo's Zone 2 Line Outs? Do I have to use the Pre-outs?

Thanks!

"The XF-48s have built in amplifiers. They are specifically designed to be used with line level audio signals. Therefore, you can't use the speaker outputs- you can damage either the XF-48, or the receiver, or both."

Can anyone confirm if this is true?

I looked up your receiver on Onkyo's site; and looked at the rear view picture.

Your receiver does have the zone 2 pre outs; and those would work, but you would not be able to use your XF-48s in a HT setup as there are no other pre out (RCA out or line out; all the same thing in this instance) connectors present for the other speakers except a subwoofer.

Your XF-48s have connectors for speaker wire in; correct?

If so; I cannot imagine why they would have them present if there was a risk of damaging the speakers. I would suggest reading the manual or even calling Klipsch tech support.

Good Luck.