Help me select speakers, please

alanwescoat

Hi everyone. I'm upgrading my wonderful stereo system to a home theater system and need help in selecting speakers. I am currently using Klipsch Synergy B-3s as my primaries with a Sub-12 powered by a Denon PMA-700AE (50 WPC). I am experiencing magnificent sound, but I want to upgrade to 7.1 surround. I am a Denon fanatic, so I will be upgrading either to a Denon AVR-1910 (90 WPC) or AVR-2310 (105 WPC). Most likely it will be the 1910 due to cost considerations. I live in Korea so my choices for Klipsch speakers is a bit limited.

The first issue is a center speaker. My choices are the Synergy C-1 and the VC-25.

I currently have a preference for the C-1 for two reasons: it's less than half the price,and it will be installed on a rolling computer cart so at half the weight of the VC-25 (8 pounds vs. 16 pounds), that's an important consideration.

I have two concerns, however. The C-1's power rating is slightly low (50 WPC) with the moderately high efficiency of Klipsch products. Additiionally, I will be jacking up the center channel vor voice clarity because my wife hates the loud sound effects of the action movies I love and constanly complains for me to turn down the volume to levels to a point where I cannot hear voices. I play sound at moderate to low volume levels, but I'm al little worried about overdriving the speaker which would not be a concern with the VC-25.

I just noticed that I could get a Quintet 4 set at a good price to complement my B-3s and Sub-12. That's another option that would give me all the speakers I need at a resonable price, but for that I'm concerned taht the sound quality might not be as good as with the B-3s.

For side and rear speakers, I am considering Klipsch Synergy B2s for both. Sadly, Klipsch rear speakers have been sold out in Korea for quite some time. I could order from the US, but there is a massive shipping charge involved along with a Korean gang of racketeers called "customs" who routinely hold packages for ransom, adding a 20% surcharge on the total price including shipping before releasing the hostage shipment. If I do eventually order surround speakers from the US, I am considering Synergy S-1s but with the same power considerations as I have reserved for the C-1. Synergy S-2s seem to be more speaker than I will need.

What seems to be the ideal system for me is Front B3s and Sub-12 (already have) with center C-1, side B-2s, and rear R-1s, though I will probably have to substitute B2s for the R-1s due to lack of availablity. All of this would most likely be powered by a Denon AVR-1910.

Helpful comments and suggestions would be most appreciated.

I haven't heard the Synergy line in a while so I can't help to much on the center channel choice. I think that you are right about turning up the center channel to match the B-3. For a perfect match can you get another B-3 and use that as the center? This way the front three speakers will match and that is the best thing that you want, Timber Match.

I was going to mention get a B-2 for the center but that would be almost like the C-1, since that is the matching center for the B-2.

You can use B-2's for all the other channels if you want, especially if you can find them easier. You might have to angle them toward the sitting position more since they are directional speakers but that isn't to bad.

Good luck on the search and post some pictures when you get everything set up.

James

Thanks for the advice. I went with the quintets because I can afford them. Once my wife saw the set, she insisted that we order the Denon 1910 and the Quintet 4 ASAP. Now we're figuring out how we're going to raise them to the proper levels without putting screws in the walls.