Major improvement of KLF-10s

During my journey to sonic happiness I upgraded to the B&K titanium diaphrams(more definition with the titanium sound).I also upgraded to the B&K crossovers(improved all frequencies....again thanks Bob).I still was not happy with the high end.My brother had an epiphany and suggested audio diffusion lenses.I searched out stock lenses for the 10s horn dimensions and found the JBL 2308 lenses to be a match.I found a seller on eBay(Kenrick Sound) of perfect replicas,purchased and installed a set.Before installing the lenses for the last time I removed the horns and removed the obstructions in the throats(they were no longer needed).This last modification brought everything together.The sound stage is much wider.The titanium sound is reduced by 95%.Music is warmer.I now have a wider sweet spot when increasing or decreasing the volume control.This is a mustdo.Try this modification...you will be glad you did.K.C.

• Like 1

I wish I could remember if it was an issue of Audio or stereo review (whichever magazine back in the day). They featured mods for the KLF speakers. IIRC, one of the issue they had was that the horn was narrow and square, and tended to resonate, unlike the wide throat horns on the heritage line. They applied some manner of damping (automotive putty?) on the side of the horn. (Outside surface/inside the cabinet).

Look on eBay under JBL 2308 speaker lenses.They are made as a direct replacement part by Kenrick Sound.They run around $150.00 with shipping from Japan.The lenses disperse the sound to create a greater soundstage.Combined with the more accurate titanium diapragms your speaker achieves a more accurate ...yet warm frequencies.I custom made the 3/8 aluminum brackets.I attached the brackets to the lenses with F-26 glue(similar to liquid nails).The brackets wre attached with alan-head button screws to the motorboard.....all in all a very factory look.I will work on posting some pics.Btw the lenses are also known as potato mashers.A reminder...remove the Klipsch diffusers from the horn throat.K.C.

Ok...they look like a concept that has been used for decades. My reservation is that any solid surface will diffract/deflect/bounce/block higher frequencies. Looks like it causes a directivity/venetian blind effect. Not sure why the sound would be "warmer" unless some high end is blocked-which also begs the question about "accurate". I was demonstrated some klipsch heresy's with new paper in oil (PIO) caps and they sounded rolled off...but the owner insisted "warmer." I recall some manufacturers using small horizontal grills over tweeters for something similar. (Celestion used to).

I think the bottom line is, I'd like to see audio spectrum analysis of the speaker with and without the lenses.

Go to JBL websites you will find the analysis graphs you seek.As for blocking higher frequencies I beleive that the intended purpose of the Klipsh diffusers in the throat was to bounce back mid-frequencies to tame the hi-frequencies.I would think this would be distortion also....with no pluses.K.C.

Go to JBL websites you will find the analysis graphs you seek.As for blocking higher frequencies I beleive that the intended purpose of the Klipsh diffusers in the throat was to bounce back mid-frequencies to tame the hi-frequencies.I would think this would be distortion also....with no pluses.K.C.

The charts I found by JBL (1983), refer to professional models , not for in home use. They indicate changes in polar response, beamwidth (matching tweeter to woofer) and directivity. Imaging is stated to improve as a result. The don't mention the effect on quasi-anechoic (or any other) FR measurements. They do say there are fewer colorations/reduced beaming with the lens. I ran out of time to research particulars tonight, but logically, frequencies are blocked/diverted and therefore may sound warmer by omission of information, not simply omitting distortion. I guess I am trying to say: if it sounds good...use it!