Sound is muddy on RC-3. Anyone done any work with these?

Fast1

I am upgrading anyway but selling the RC-3 to a friend. We both know about the sound or lack there off. Just seems the horn needs a boost 2-3db or so. Just curious if anyone has tried tweaking the Xover values or switched to high performance caps? Would rear venting help at all?

If u redid the xovers then u wouldn't need to upgrade. That's a great speaker line. U could have the crossover set wrong on the receiver. Switch it to 100hz and see if it cleans it up. What is wire gauge and how long is it? Sometimes if its old and corroded it can effect it.

Just looked at your signature. From the gear u picked out I am sure you would have noticed the wire issue. If for some reason your xover is set right then I would say it sounds muddy beicause you are comparing it to your 7s that have an upgraded xover. I did mine so I know the sound difference.

I have now alsocompared to RB-5s. Both Mains are noticably brighter and more clear than the RC-3 which is the one CH of an HT system that must sound clear.

Did you mod the Xover in the RC-3? I have not found anyone yet that has done a thing to them. In stock form, I would have to disagree as a "good" speaker.. I am not very impressed.

no, it's a good speaker, not great, good. you can upgrade any crossover. simply swap out the same values of the caps and resistors with better components. very easy, if you know how to solder. i also replaced my binding posts and deleted the jumpers.

if it sounds that bad, you may have a bad cap in there. i would spend the little bit of money and change out the parts. my suggestion is go to www.soniccraft.com and buy the "sonic cap gen 1 caps for the HF, mills 12w resistors, and the pulse X caps for the shunt values. i would replace the HF and LF shunt caps. you only need the 250v caps at pulse x.

that's one of the things i love about klipsh speakers, upgrading the crossover is easy and not too expencive. i am upgrading all my RS-42's because i want them to be sharp and clear to match the up front.