New cabinets for KLF-30

SVX2005

The old MDF cabinets for my two pair of KLF-30 speakers are shot. They've gone through shipping a few times and have loosened up. They have developed a lot of air leaks. Rather than trying to repair, I want to have new cabinets made for them. Input and suggestions on this subject are apreaciated because i have no experience doing this. I'm just going to have the old cabinets replicated as best I can, keeping the internal volume the same as the original box. I think it would be nice to try and change the shape of the cabinet to look like the new Palladium line, but I suck at math, and figuring out those dimentions and keeping the same volume is way beyond my math skills. I've done as much research online as I can and I'm leaning tward using birch plywood as opposed to making them out of MDF again. I want them to be strong and last a long time. I am also thinking of adding the egg crate type foam glued to every wall inside the cabinet. The original boxes only have two sheets of foam behind the midrange and tweeter that are just stuck in there. Would gluing the foam to all the walls help make them better? Do i need to increase the internal volume of the cabinet slightly to compensate for the foam? I've already got my new crossovers from bob crites.

Guest David H

My suggestion would be to repair the old cabs, mdf is just so easy to repair. Then once you get the cabinets sealed and stripped it would be an afternoons work to re-veneer them.

MDF is more dence than ply and requires less bracing, as for the foam, I would stick with doubled 1inch polyfil badding rather than egg crate foam because polyfil does not eat up air space like typical foam. If you choose to use foam, I suggest 10 ppi acousic.

Dave's worthless $.02