Dual bass bin La Scala

I'm looking at the crossover schematics and it appears that in the stock configuration only the mid is padded while the tweeter runs at full throttle. The midrange could be opened up by changing the taps on the autoformer (or bypassing it entirely), but it probably wouldn't sound right if you couldn't somehow get the tweeter's output up to the level of the other parts of the system. Try it and tell us what happens. [;)]

• 2 months later...

The LS I inherited came with an extra pair of industrial woofer sections. They were called "LF extensions" if I remember correctly. When we got them they were connected directly from the (parallel) inputs of the regular LS. With no crossover in the woofer sections they did their best to reproduce everything that was thrown at them and sounded - predictably - awful.

We later had a low pass xover built for them using the same xover point as the normal LS and ran the system as you suggest: a La Scala with dula bass bins. The result was underwhelming. You could stand in front of them, listening to the normal LS, plug in the second woofer and hear only the slightest increase in low end.

We eventually turned it into a 4 channel system by building another set of top-boxes. That has been a far more enjoyable use of the extra LS.