QUINTETS WITH RTL4s

toledo

I need some advice please. I've a pair of TDL RTL4s and I'm trying to build an AV system around it:

1) if I buy the quintet centre, rear and sub-woofer to match the RTLs, would I be able to tell that the sounds are coming from different manufacturers? I'm afraid that different speaker systems may spoil the sound effects.

2) if I buy the complete quintet system for home theatre, would the sound have problem filling up my hall? What is the recommended room size for using the quintets? Would the fact that the room has a very high ceiling affect the sound as well?

I'm new to this and would be grateful for any help I can get. THanks

My Klipsch myopia precludes me from knowing anything about the TDL RLT4s (haven't heard of them or heard them). But I can say that for the front array in an HT setup, you want 3 identical speakers (ideally), or at least 3 that are made by the same manufacturer and voiced to match each other. Otherwise, the difference in sound across the front will distract from the HT immersion sensation.

As for buying the Quintets, give us an idea of your budget, the size of the room, music vs. HT use, and the electronics you are using to drive this system...

Doug

------------------

My System

Thanks Doug, I did kinda suspected that mixing speakers is not really the right thing to do.

Budget wise, a complete set of quintets (with sub, centre & 4 satellites) cost US$1000 in S'pore! Satellites take up 1/2 the price at US$230 per pair. I believe it's cheaper to buy from Ebay and have them shipped to me in S'pore (or carried back by friends) and I may just do that.

Size of my hall is about 20 x 30 ft (includes dining area). Problem is the ceiling is 2 stories high and I'm not sure if that'll affect the sound.

If I take the complete quintet system, I'll probably be using it solely for HT and keep my TDLs for music.

The amp. I'm thinking of is either the Harmon Kardon AVR3000 or the Denon 2802 (with preference being the 2802). Haven't really thought of a good budget DVD player yet.

Guess if I buy the quintets, my main concern would be whether it'll sound too tiny in my hall.

What do you think?

In my limited experience with them, I think the Quintets might sound a little weak in a room the size you are talking about. What would it cost in Singapore for the Klipsch Synergy System 6? It's only about $100 more than the Quintets in the US, but is a much better system for music and theater, and would do a better job with that large space.

Doug

------------------

My System

Toledo - If you're not concerned about warranty coverage (and I'm guessing you are not in Singapore), and you have a convenient way for someone to ship them to you (like a freight forwarder), check out the prices at www.acousticsounddesign.com and www.sounddistributors.com...

EDIT: Also, get at least a 12" sub. I think anything less (unless you go with one of those compact supercubes) would be too weak for your room.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 03-29-2002 at 10:41 AM