KG5.2 Speakers and Sunfire 15" powered sub

radiogm1

I just bought a pair of KG5.2 speakers from a friend..They are yet to arrive here...I need to know what to expect from these sound wise ..Also will my Bob Carver 15' Powered sub be overkill with these...My room is 14'W X 20'L ...Ive never owned a set of Klipsch speakers ,so i absolutely do not know what to expect...I also have a 52" Samsung Projection TV and my reciever is a Sony STR-DE845 100x5 ...Any suggestions on center channel to use and surrounds ..Please give me those too ,those are my next upgrades...

Thanks for any info given

George

radiogm1, you chose wisely on the 5.2's. They are very good sounding speakers. Those 12" passive radiators can produce some very good bass. I have the SVS 20-39cs sub with my 5.2's (set to small) and they have no problem at all keeping up with the sub. I also had the sunfire 8" sub and it was fine too.

I think you will be very happy with your new setup, CONGRATS!

Monty

------------------

Klipsch 5.2 mains

Klipsch 4.2 rears

Klipsch KLF C-7 center

Mitsubishi 55" HD widescreen tv

Toshiba pro scan DVD audio player

Sony Hi-Fi VCR player

Harman Kardon AVR 65 receiver

SVS 20/39 subwoofer w/Samsom S1000 amp

A subwoofer can never be overkill. If you set it correctly, it will not overwhelm a system. However, the bigger and more powerful sub you have, the more "dynamic" it will be at a low, or high volume. This is only a problem if you are indulging in a little late night listing and are trying to keep it quiet, but you could just turn it off.

I have a dual 15" JBL Pro sub, and even at extreamly low volumes (60dB.) the sub will make some rumble and definition. I had a POS 8" Aiwa sub with a 10 watt amp in it, and it would just "woof", but only at above 80 dB. or so.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

George - What radio station are you a GM for?

If you've never heard Klipsch speakers, expect them to sound very different than anything you've listened to. If you've heard them, and are just now an owner, welcome the coolest forum in the world!

Sony receivers, some say, may be a little "bright" with Klipsch speakers. You probably will want to set any EQ that you have in the Sony to neutral, if you think they sound a little bright at first.

Remember, too, that these speakers will be very revealing, and will show up faults in any source material very easily.

After listening for a while, I think you'll find most other speakers (and certainly any in this price range) sound a little lifeless, even though they may be excellent speakers. It's just a matter of taste, really.

The suggested matching center is the KG2.2V or 1.2V, both available only used. Some have also used the Academy and KV-3 (also only available used).

For rears, it depends a bit on your future direction for multi-channel music in addition to home theater. If you're heading the music route, get a pair of full range speakers, if you can fit them -- like another pair of 5.2s or something out of the KG x.2 lineup. They'll provide kick-butt sound and be a great match for the fronts.

If that's not in the cards, then the SS-1 or RS-3 would probably make good surrounds.

Enjoy!

Doug

------------------

My System