Gonna Build a Marchand Crossover for my Belle Clones

dan4510

Have the crossover finished and installed. All I can say, its amazing what this has done for my system.

The detail is superb, bass is superb and better controlled than before. Voices both male and female seem real. On a good recording the music seems to be live in the room. I got goose bumps listening to music I thought I was very familiar with.

I have owned several very expensive sets of speakers and with the marchand crossover my belle clones beat them all!

Dan

I figure the costs for the boards, power supply, and upgraded op amps is about $270. The box was about $50. If you figure my time at a measly $25 an hour for wiring, box building, etc...that was about $500-$750. So, i could have bought one from marchand for that price. However, my feeling of ownership after doing the work is much more than just handing over money. Plus, I have a one of a kind box for the crossover to reside in.

Also, since I have it up and running a while, its even better than I thought after giving the system some serious listening. The 24db/oct slopes seem to have given the system a much more focused sound stage. Listening to any type of music I can spot where each instrument is, movement of hands along guitars, and where each drum is as the drummer goes from one to another. Vocals are stunning. Real is the only word I can use. I have some really good recordings and its spooky, the music seems to be recreated in my room. The speakers recede and all that is left is music.

The crossover points are 450 and 4500 and since I have extensive hearing damage, I thought I might not hear any highs. Not true, they seem to have reappeared and are real. In the last iteration of the setup I let the mid just poop out on its own and just used a capacitor to protect the tweeter which gave a 6db/oct slope. The highs were not there as much as now.

So, Al K is correct in stating that extreme slope gives a much better integration between drivers. I would urge everyone to try higher slope orders, I bet you will be surprised.

I am extremely pleased with how this crossover turned out and how much better it made my system sound. And I have to give cudos to Phil Marchand, I had a few problems getting everything up and running and he was kind enough to lend support to get me going.

Dan

Does Marchand still sell the kit you bought?

I know he said they were going to stop selling some of their kits so I wondered. I will be buying their WM8 for my subs but it will just be an EZYkit so pretty simple to put together. Do you know if it is very hard to install selectable knobs instead infinite ones that come with the kit?

I would much prefer the selectable ones but he is not making that kit anymore and it would cost me another $100 so I figured I might be able to just do it on my own.

Either way I think I will try and build your crossover and use your thread as a guide. It will be some months from now but glad someone did a thread on this one.