EV 100 Studio Monitors

Fotog

I have just acquired a pair of Electro-Voice 100 Studio Monitor speakers (for free). Cabinets are in great shape and the woofers and tweeters are fine. Not sure what to do with them. I would like to use them in a PA set up for vocals but I need a amp. Any suggestions? Or I could use them as rears in a 7.1 and replace my lone KLF-C7 with these? I realize this is a Klipsch forum but you guys are the most knowledgeable group I know about these kinds of things.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/STARINMANUALS/Bosch%20-%20EV/Sentry%20100A.pdf

they're probably much less efficient than most Klipsch speakers, but run one with a speaker from your stash to check this. The spec sheet lists 91 db/w/meter which isn't a lot for pro speakers. If that's the case, they'd be great for the garage or small band setup (think coffee shop).

Most likely there will be quite a timbre difference too, again running one in your system or just a/b compare with say your KLF-C7 to be sure.

Amps are cheap these days. I have a couple modest amps I could get rid of from my stash.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

they're probably much less efficient than most Klipsch speakers, but run one with a speaker from your stash to check this. The spec sheet lists 91 db/w/meter which isn't a lot for pro speakers. If that's the case, they'd be great for the garage or small band setup (think coffee shop).

Most likely there will be quite a timbre difference too, again running one in your system or just a/b compare with say your KLF-C7 to be sure.

Amps are cheap these days. I have a couple modest amps I could get rid of from my stash.

Michael

Thanks for the reply. From what I believe you are saying is that nixing the idea of adding this to the HT group would be good. Fair enough - wasn't that strong of an interest. Much more interested in using these as some kind of a PA. I would need a type of reverb to add depth to vocals - a stomp box might suffice. I acquired a used 40 watt Radio Shack amp (free) but haven't hooked it up yet. Kind of hoping someone like you could offer up some suggestions. It might be that these items just get sold off or traded for other more appropriate gear - but due to their price (free), if they could work, it would be nice to do so.

I currently have a 2 guitar set up with a few effects pedals feeding an old Sound City Concord amplifier using 2 12" Fanes and single channel reverb. Extremely clean sound. Great tubes and LOUD for a 30 watt amp. Playing a wide variety of music but mostly surf, rockabilly, and some country and blues with a little Santanna type rock thrown in on the Hagstrom semi-hollow. The Ovation Legend primarily is used for Folk type ballads and this is where the vocals would fit in. I used to use the Sound City as both guitar amp and PA but with the effects pedals feeding the Guitar amp - I was seeing these new Electro Voice speakers as a possible PA option.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated - even if your thoughts were to scratch the project.

If these are the ones I'm thinking of - 8" woofer, dome tweeter with a foam ring around it, black vinyl cabinet, tweeter level control in the upper right hand corner of the front - there's no way these things would have the output for almost any kind of P. A. use. EV designed them for small studio monitoring. Now, if we were talking about a Sentry III or IV, you'd be in business, but the 100, I'd leave in the home theater or basement. It is a fine sounding speaker, used within its design limitations, but a P.A. speaker it ain't. The only time I used them sucessfully as p.a.speakers was for lectures in a 100 seat classroom, and even then, they were "huffin' and puffin."

• 1 month later...

Interestingly enough - I have a pair of Heresy II's I bought new in the '80s. I once thought I had blown a tweeter so I opened them up to take a look - all Electrovoice heavy duty looking drivers inside. Turns out they were fine.

I actually use these as floor monitors for my rock band - they sound great and take quite a bit of abuse..